• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Phone wiped?

Hi,

I rooted my phone a couple of months ago, just so that I could use the Link2sd app and get a reasonable number of apps onto it. I still use the standard ROM.

I've got S off, and hboot is 0.93.0001..

Today I turned the phone off. When I turned it back on it had apparently reset itself and gone back to it's factory state, asking me what carrier I use and what language I want the phone to use, etc! This is annoying enough, because I hadn't backed up, so all apps will need reinstalling. Well, not so bad in a way, because it gives me a chance to think what apps I use and are worth reinstalling. But when I start installing apps I immediately get the "phone-storage-space-is-getting-low" warning for the first app. It seems to me like all the stuff that was occupying the phone memory before it reset itself is still in there somewhere, leaving very little space for anything else, but is somehow inaccessible.

I guess I could just manually reset it, which would I suppose clear everything out, by using the "wipe data/factory reset" option or something. But if the stuff is still in there somewhere can I get it back without reinstalling?

Errr OK, an update. I just restarted the phone again, and now all my old apps and set up have magically reappeared. However, the phone seems to be severely screwed. I just get a constant stream of pop-ups telling me that various applications have stopped unexpectedly, making the phone pretty much unusable. No widgets are working - they say "problem loading gadget". Also the notification bar has the "low on space" icon, which it didn't have before all of this. Is it possible that the link2sd process has somehow failed and that none of the apps which have been stored on the SD card will work?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones