• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone works, backlit screen dead: How to retrieve contacts/data?

DarkUfrades

Lurker
Jul 29, 2015
Manufacturer - HTC
Model - HTC EVO V 4G (VIRGIN MOBILE)
Software version - 4.0
Non-rooted

Hello everyone, I would greatly appreciate any guidance you can provide. My phone currently turns on and proceeds through startup, but the backlit screen is no longer functional. Only the illuminated touch buttons light up. As a result, I can still receive messages and calls, but cannot interact with the phone. The only way to turn off the phone is by removing the battery. In addition, the phone rapidly heats up, and feels hot to the touch after thirty seconds or so.

I've had this phone for three years, and have wanted to replace it for a while now. Is there any way to retrieve the contacts/data from the phone's internal memory by myself before replacing it? I also have data on a 32GB MicroSD card. My thought was to connect the phone to a computer monitor, and copy the information to my computer, but I'm not really sure if this is a feasible option.

I am currently under service with Virgin Mobile, and their customer service representative recommended I purchase a new phone with them so they can transfer the data/contacts. However, I am not interested in their phone offerings at this time. I had my heart set on buying the new Motorola Moto G.

In summary, I'd like to retrieve my data/contacts from my phone that still works, but no longer has a functional screen. Do you have any recommendations?

Thank you very much for your help.

If you have a TV with an hdmi input, you can go for an inexpensive 5-pin MHL adapter and hook it up to your TV.

Then use cloud or local network connections to back up your contacts and messages.

Check out "SMS Backup +"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zegoggles.smssync

Contacts local to your phone - go to People, Menu and look for send contacts, import/export, etc - HTC changes the menu option over time - but you want to create a vcf file (the default).

Contacts on Gmail web you don't have to care about.

Email it or place on sd card.

Where done with that, plug in to PC, copy all sd card contents with select all, and drag and drop to a new backup folder on the pc.

Upvote 0
You just plug in the MHL adapter, give it usb power (believe no one who says that you don't need it, I have the Evo 3D (same phone) and you absolutely need power) - and it just works.

I use this one with mine -

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10833&cs_id=1083314&p_id=8675&seq=1&format=2

Look for similar from Walmart, Best Buy or whatever if you want it faster than online ordering.

Just be sure it's a 5-pin model and you can't go wrong.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones