• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help phones and public transport

alextop30

Android Expert
Oct 5, 2010
Windy City of Chicago
I had to write this thread because for the third day I cannot access the internet on my Evo and yes I pay a fortune for it.

Since I do not have masters degree in spending my daddy's money I have to work. My work is in downtown Chicago, however, I live in Naperville which is about 40 miles away and I need to take the train every morning. Well I am a bit of a news junkie and a stockmarket analysis junkie so I like reading these things includingthe androidforums in the morning but lately my phone just shows one bar in 3g and it takes for ever to load google.com this means no phone usage in the train. Is there another unfortunate soul that is experiencing similar issues on public transport and how do u deal with it. I think about smashing the phone into the ground in the sprint store and asking for a of my money back.
The 4g service I play for is only available in my house where I have WiFi which moves quite a bit faster than wimax.

Think about it technology is made not to work its one big conspiracy. Cheers for Thursday morning.

Nothing to be done about it if you have good coverage outside the train. Carriers don't guarantee coverage indoors and I'll bet that extends to trains as well. Talk to your carrier.

Think about it technology is made not to work its one big conspiracy.
You should look up the word. Conspiracy requires intent. An oversight is not a conspiracy. For your carrier to conspire for you to not have coverage they would have had to take action to ensure that you don't get coverage on the train. The world doesn't revolve around you (or any of us individually).

Reactions: KENNECTED
Upvote 0
LOL, everyone knows 4G is for outside use unless you got a lot of windows in your house you typically won't get 4G indoors. WiMax isn't great at penetrating buildings. If you carried around an iPad or tablet your coverage would still suck. If you can't get coverage then you need to switch carriers. But your results on the train will probably still suck.

I have used the 3G/GPS to drive all across the country.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones