• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Photon BUG: GPS Error

tbhausen

Android Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
I noticed while working with GPS Status application that position error is always reported as 0 (ft or m). I inquired with the develper, who asserts that this is certainly a bug with Motorola's firmware. This got me to thinking... I've never seen the "accuracy circle" in Google maps respond like most other phones I've had (starts very large with network fix only then jumps to much smaller upon GPS fix, then gradually shrinks as acuracy improves).

Anyone else notice this? Where's a good place to report this so it gets some attention and gets fixed?

Walked around for a bit this morning outside, checking both GPS Status & Toolbox, and my usual GPS program GPS Test. Neither reported the margin of error. In GPS Test, you normally have the option to adjust sensitivity of the error reporting, but it was greyed out and listed as not available. This tells me that it's a setting in Moto's software that is not allowing the GPS chip to report the margin of error. I wouldn't call it a bug per se, more a toggle that's currently off. This would also explain the lack of the accuracy circle in Google Maps (which I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out).

Despite this, I have noticed that the GPS is very good on this phone. It locks in fast and looks to be accurate to a couple meters, I'd say within 10 feet with a clear signal to 9-10 satellites. Google Maps was able to effectively track me as I walked around my neighborhood, and would correctly place me at the corner of lots and on property lines (including my own backyard). That's good enough for what I use phone-based GPS; when I need better (such as for work), I use a dedicated unit.

Edit: just read your thread on the Moto forums. I'm going to post about the GPS Test app and let them know that error reporting is listed as "unavailable" in that app's setting.

Reactions: tbhausen
Upvote 0
There seems to definitely be an issue with the GPS finding satellites. I use the Google Nav app quite often, and it seems when you start the app, it will hang on geting a GPS signal. If you close the app out then reopen it, most of the time it will get the signal and work. Yesterday it took 3 tries before it decided to work. It can get quite annoying. I hope Motorola addresses this soon. I installed the newest update on Friday and it did not fix any GPS issues in regards to this. I have had issues with other apps which require GPS info so it seems to be on the GPS side of the house. Is there software which powers the GPS radio? If there is, it seems to be a software glitch in something which controls it.... Also, has this issue been brought up to Motorola to solve?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones