• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Physical Media Buttons

Just when I thought I had discovered all there was to know about the Eris, purely by accident i discovered that it has physical button media controls. I lamented having to turn on the screen every time I wanted to change songs, but the button solution was under my nose the whole time.

When the screen is off holding Vol up moves to the next song while tapping it turns up the volume like you would expect. The reverse is true for Vol down. Vol down works just like a backtrack button when held down and turns down volume when tapped.

So did everyone already know this? Am I one of the last people to figure this out? Actually I'm not even sure if this is a standard feature or just cooked into some rom or app.

This also got me thinking, once I actually replace my Eris (once my contract cycles to the next renewal), am I going to miss my "call" and "end" buttons? They're conspicuously missing from newer phones. Not to mention the trackball is missing. I kind of like the flashing led but i never really use the ball.

Thoughts on physical buttons in general? Do we even need em?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones