• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pin not working (Solved, kind of)

MC6060

Jun 9, 2021
Hi,
My wife has been messing around with her Galaxy A40 settings and switched on accessibility now her phone narrates everything. She charged her phone and went straight to work. During her break she tried to use the phone, pressed the power button, the welcome screen appeared and after using two fingers to swipe she was at the pin screen. However it does not allow a single tap of the keypad, it states that you have to double tap. This she does until the pin is entered, but the screen does not unlock. I tried to switch off the phone as this cures a multitude of problems, but when you tap on either the power off or the restart button, it takes you back to the pin screen. As the phone is fully charged it will take weeks for it to run out of power and shut down. Anyone know how to get past this? Any help would be helpful.

Regarding powering off her phone, try pressing and holding the Power button continuously for as long as it takes. Don't be surprised if you're pressing down for 10 or even more seconds. This is forced shutdown. (A typical shutdown you initiate through the Android user interface involves all the processes running in the background to quit first. A forced shutdown is more abrupt and only needed for situations like you're experiencing.) Anyway, try that and see if her PIN works in the Lock Screen when starting up. When she was 'messing around' with the Settings menu, is she sure she didn't change the PIN too?

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Hi, Tried all of the powering off options listed (thanks guys), but none of them worked. I think there may be a problem with the buttons. I tried the hold the power button and down volume button until the screen went black, then release the buttons and press the power button and volume up button to get to the reset screen. Took a lot of attempts (fingers were quite sore) to get there and selected the power off option. Unfortunately when I powered back on, narrator was still on. So in the end I had to use the reset to factory settings option (again so many attempts to get to the option screen). I had to reinstall all her apps for her, still hasn't learnt her lesson, still playing with the settings!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the advice guys, will put the phone on charge over night to see if it will charge, hoping it does, the S7 was the last Android OS that allowed you to have a call recorder, which has helped me out on many occasions when companies have promised something and then gone back on it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones