• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Please help! :'( Phone screen is cracked and inoperable, need to back-up my phone.

xfisjmg

Lurker
May 20, 2017
My LG Phoenix 3 recently hit the dust. The phone turns on, however, it's inoperable due to the broken screen. I would like to make a back-up of the entire-phone to place on another Android, however, I cannot seem to do this. I tried to use the Android File Transfer tool, however, my phone had a lock on it so I can't access it. The phone does not have USB Debugging enabled, so I was wondering if I'm just screwed or there's a method where I can enable it from the PC or what. I am willing to pay for help.

Is the display inoperative or just the touchscreen function?

If just the touch screen then as long as it supports USB OTG you should be able to operate it with a mouse. If the display is also out then does it support display mirroring, e.g. MHL? (I'm not familiar with this model). If it does then you can use an adapter to mirror the display to a monitor or TV. The problem is if both touchscreen and display are out, since you can only do one or the other. But I have managed to undo a PIN lock blind using an OTG adapter and a USB keyboard - I did however practice using a working phone first, and don't think I could have done it with a pattern lock on. Then by swapping between keyboard and MHL I managed to enable usb debugging and also pair a Bluetooth keyboard, after which the rest was easy. But getting that far took a lot of time, and will only work if your phone supports some sort of display mirroring.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones