• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Please Help!!

spitfirecl

Dec 4, 2010
Hello to everyone...
I just bought a Samsung Galaxy 5 gt i5500, and i did read a little and i found out that it is possible to upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2 froyo...
so i was wondering how i do this? please someone could put a Tutorial or something?
and also, the process is different if I am from chile (latin america) i mean i readed that the new firmware is maybe only for usa or europe.. is that right?
please help...
thanx

Hi, Thank you for your answer... i did see that page..
my question is... the firmware there is for usa phones, so there is no problem if i also use this file for my chilean phone? i need to have my phone unlocked? how do I know if it is unlocked or not? its fine to use the cable that came with the phone?... I dont want to screw my phone rather I want do this to use it!!, so please someone could tell me how, the details i need to know to NOT screw my phone by doing this thing?

(also in that web says that you should have 5 files all *.tar but when I downloaded the file, is one rar that keeps inside one *.tar , and if I open that tar appears 5 files "boot.img-amss-csc.rfs-recovery.img-system.rfs" but in the odin ask me for 5 files with *.tar extension, a boot file a phone, pda, csc, efs, so which file should i put in each "category"?)

Thanx to evryone, i really need help here guys!

Upvote 0
no need to extract the TAR! in odin,select "only 1 package" and just load that complete .tar file + you will need OPS file (also on page).so just 2 files is what you need.

no problems on installing USA firmware,i am also locked on vodafone,and it works just fine,asks you for your PIN an all good. and yes,you will use the cable you got with the phone.

also im repeating again,DO A FACTORY RESET in settings after flashing!

Upvote 0
Hey loop thank you very much, finally i did it and works!
its all good (i think)
now, how do i know if the upgrade work?
I did hear that "froyo" comes with hebrew and arabic support, but after I did the upgrade and the factory reset, I tryed to watch a hebrew web page, and doesnt show the hebrew letters just like before, rectangles in the place of the letters...
you know something about this?

Thank you very much again man!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones