1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Please stop

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Rgarner, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

Recently there was a message about running out of phone storage. About the same time there was a security one about "no threats" found in the play store. I should hope not. I put two and two together and apparently the four is to disable, i. e., roll back updates of apps I seldom or never use. Sure enough, that seemed to take care of the problem, but I'd rather not have to do that in the first place. How do I prevent automatic updates, and how do I get rid of unwanted "builtin" apps without rooting (although I dearly would like to root this S5)?

2. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

I haven't encountered that.
    Have you cleared you cache lately?

Rgarner likes this.
  3. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

No, I haven't. That might have something to do with it. I used to have to do that with a phone that had only 8 gb, but I thought I had escaped it. Another thing I noticed is that some of the apps I downgraded seemed to have disappeared from the list, until I found a couple of them tacked on at the end. Why would it do that?

4. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

Some of my albums have dissapeared Eek! I've got hard copies thank goodness.

5. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

You just turn off automatic updates in the Play Store app. That's it. Unfortunately you will still be notified of them, and the ones you don't want to install will still clutter up your update list in the Play Store app. If you don't use the apps though you can disable them, which removes all updates and prevents any new ones coming.

(I'm assuming these are system apps you are talking about, otherwise you would just uninstall the ones you don't use - and of course you wouldn't have an "uninstall updates" button).

6. aio developers

aio developers Android Enthusiast

WITH root bro and for playstore just disable automatic updates.
    to unistall blotware root your s5 download system app unistaller and unistall it

7. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

Yes, these are unfortunately bloatware I apparently can't get rid of without rooting. Is there a way to root the S5 with 6.0.1? The only phone I have rooted was a Kyocera Rise, years ago, with a pc, and that took days.

aio developers likes this.
  8. aio developers

yes use super su flashable zip with twrp or cwm to flasg

9. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

Could you translate that into non-phone geek English @SPEEDEVS?

MoodyBlues likes this.
  10. aio developers

yes just need screenshot in pm so i can do it because the screenshot will enable me know and how to start

11. Hadron

VIP Member

He's saying that if you have a custom recovery you can flash a superuser package to root it.

Of course you need to have a custom recovery first. Which mean you need to be able to unlock the bootloader. How easy that is may depend on what variety of S5 this is (there are many different models, Exynos and Snapdragon are different, and carrier models, especially US carrier models, will tend to be locked-down harder). You need someone who knows the device to suggest ways of doing this.

12. aio developers

yes CWM is available just install it in S5 or TWRP and flash super su for the DEVICE android version
    because the android version matters too

13. aio developers

to unlock bootloader is easy :0 i do it

14. Hadron

VIP Member

Without even knowing which model S5 this is? Because I'm not a Samsung expert but I know enough to know that it does depend.

15. aio developers

yeah it do but s5 is old so now they can unlock.any s5,

16. aio developers

i did some googling and realized the device stoped at 6.0.1 at tgat time and is discontinued so it should have unlovking for all chioset even exynos