• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

DaKeeza

Mar 26, 2013
I'm new to this area of the forum, so I hope I'm asking this right. I just purchased two new Polaroid PMID920 Internet Tablets, they're generic thingys, and the oddest thing happens when I power them off. The speakers make some weird noise that I can't describe, however I'm almost certain they aren't intentional noises. If someone who knows about Android hardware or whatever could explain if that's normal or acceptable, I'd appreciate it. I read something on the forums about generic tablets and what not, but I really like these, and would like to keep them. Thanks!!

PS: does google apps need to be flashed? Thanks
EDIT: Wow there's a generic tablet talk I feel like that's the place to put this sorrrryyyy

As far as the speakers go, it is kind of staticky? When you turn the power off it doesn't immediately go from 5 volts to zero volts in zero time, it degrades slowly - over the course of half a second or so. When that happens to electronics nothing is guaranteed. You could get a "whoosh", a tiny shriek, static, almost anything.

With radios, we're used to turning the volume down to turn the radio off, so whatever little noise comes out is at minimum volume and about all we may notice is a click, but with a tab, the volume is wherever it was and we hear things turning off.

I wouldn't make any definitive statement without actually hearing the sound, but I'm guessing it's just annoying and not indicative of a problem (other than sloppy design - they could shut the audio amp down when the voltage starts dropping).

Upvote 0
As far as the speakers go, it is kind of staticky? When you turn the power off it doesn't immediately go from 5 volts to zero volts in zero time, it degrades slowly - over the course of half a second or so. When that happens to electronics nothing is guaranteed. You could get a "whoosh", a tiny shriek, static, almost anything.

With radios, we're used to turning the volume down to turn the radio off, so whatever little noise comes out is at minimum volume and about all we may notice is a click, but with a tab, the volume is wherever it was and we hear things turning off.

I wouldn't make any definitive statement without actually hearing the sound, but I'm guessing it's just annoying and not indicative of a problem (other than sloppy design - they could shut the audio amp down when the voltage starts dropping).
Thanks for the reply!! Yes, I think it's staticky. I'm thinking it's normal... so it's just a result of poor hardware design, most likely. Would you be able to identify for certain if you heard the sound? XDD
Thanks a bunch!
And if you knew anything about the GAPPS thing that would be awesome

Upvote 0
the polaroid 920 tablet or for that matter any polaroid tablet could be a bad investment no matter how small the amount. If you try to contact the customer support number they give you, it is always busy no matter waht time of day you call. If you try email they give you a ticket number but never respond with any answers. You would need an authorization to return product for repair which looks like you would never get because they never answer. My suggestion is to return your tablet and buy one from a trusted manufacturer. Buyer Beware.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones