• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Poor framerates on Spacetime games?

kamikazees

Lurker
Sep 10, 2011
Hope this is the right thread area. I've had the Atrix about 2 months now and love it. The thing is, I've been having trouble with framerates on the Spacetime Studios games Star Legends and Pocket Legends.

My ping is fine, and the games are smooth when walking indoors (town) and in instances areas with few or small enemies. As soon as the graphics become more intense in instances, however (such as with many enemies or large ones), my framerates become so choppy the games are just about unplayable (like 1-2 fps). The framerates are fine on my iPhone 3gs and iPad 2, and it does not seem to make a difference over 3G, HUSPA or on wifi.

At first I thought maybe it was the Atrix hardware (the Tergra dual core), so I went to the Spacetime forums. Some other players with similar hardware (Droid Bionic, X2, Photon) are having the same problems. Some were not, however (ASUS EEe Transformer users, for example).

So then I thought maybe something about Motoblur was causing the problems. So I rooted, unlocked and flashed Alien v.4, and then the CM7 beta roms. Alien still has some blur, but CM7 does not. Those roms, while they make my phone fly, have not cured the framerate problems.

I am running out of ideas, as the Atrix should dominate these games. Is it the Motorola drivers? What is going on here? Can you help? Many thanks.

Well, the fact that it does not do it on the iPhone makes me think it's a Memory/CPU load issue on the Atrix.

Even though Apple added "Multi-tasking" in iOS4, it's not like it is on Android.

My guess is that you have a LOT of apps running in the background, possibly services running for apps. This eats up memory, and sometimes CPU. Those are 2 resources that games need free access to. The typical user really does not notice it.

Before launching the game, open the stock "Task Manager" app and end any applications you aren't using. That goes for FB, Twitter apps... anything. See if that helps.

Reactions: kamikazees
Upvote 0
Well, the fact that it does not do it on the iPhone makes me think it's a Memory/CPU load issue on the Atrix...
I was concerned about Memory/CPU too, but after installing CM7 it wiped all the bloat off my Atrix and overclocked it. Right now, for example, I only have 13 things running (including all system, services, etc!). I have 1.1Gz dual core and almost 500 MB free. That's as much ram as the iPhone before it is even turned on.

I really hope I am not the only Atrix user with this problem... thanks for your input.

Upvote 0
I was concerned about Memory/CPU too, but after installing CM7 it wiped all the bloat off my Atrix and overclocked it.

That could be your problem to.
Overclocking is NOT a good thing to do to a phone. We can't WATER COOL them, or put over-sized heatsinks with fans on them to cool the CPU back down.

Overclocking means more heat, more heat, CPU will SLOW DOWN to try to COOL DOWN and save it's life.

Like I said, games like that are CPU and Memory intensive. You've overclocked the CPU and then push it harder. Like the engine in a car, you can only put so much NOS through there before you blow something.

Sure, the CPU is underclocked from the manufacturer. But, there is a reason for that, it was not just something to tick people off. They test the design of these phones. They set the CPU at the best speed to prevent it from overheating and damaging itself.

As for the MotoBlur "BLOAT" that so many people hate. I'm not root, I'm running stock, just using launcher pro instead of Blur for the launcher (But blur is still on there), and I have 480MB free ram with several apps running and all system services running. It's a poor artist that blames his canvas if the painting turns out bad.

Upvote 0
Im using an evo4g overclocked to 1119 running tiamat kernal and cm 256 nightly.

I'm experiencing the same issue. The game was originally made for apple products, and any game that is ported over from a different device is likely to have an issue.

I've never been able to get pocket legends, and now star legends to work properly. Even with a stock phone I have still had problems. These phones handle being overclocked very well, I have had this bad boy overclocked for almost since I got it back in 2010 august. I have even left the phone on it's highest speed for weeks.

So the issue is that the game is MADE to work on apple, and until spacetime works the kinks out of the android version, we may be experiencing this problem.

But again, these phone's are just handheld computer's, and every device is different even if it holds the same hardware.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones