• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Possible Battery Fix from HTC

I was not having any problems with my phone after the update till this Friday where the phone will not go to sleep anymore. Last thing i downloaded from the market was PDAnet. I ended up doing a hard reset and it still doing the same thing by not sleeping. I have all auto syncs disabled, etc. Any ideas as to what could be happening?

Upvote 0
I was not having any problems with my phone after the update till this Friday where the phone will not go to sleep anymore. Last thing i downloaded from the market was PDAnet. I ended up doing a hard reset and it still doing the same thing by not sleeping. I have all auto syncs disabled, etc. Any ideas as to what could be happening?

Are you using 4g? I had to disable mine to get my phone to work properly again.

Upvote 0
menu > settings > accounts and sync > uncheck auto sync and background data. this will kill syncing of everything data related. this is the main cause of the battery drain.

This does help and thanks but why even bother to have such a great phone if we have to turn so many things off and not use so many things pretty much crippling what the EVO was intended to do. We might as well just get a free flip phone.

Reactions: Shawnz
Upvote 0
Please can someone help with this issue... I'm new to this site so please excused my ignorance.
But as I was saying, today my EVO 4G just had a mind of it's own were it just keeps restarting after the 4G logo comes up. 20 seconds later the unit starts over again. It's been doing this all day!

Please can someone help?

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what happens when you pull the battery out and try to boot up?

Upvote 0
I thought conditioning didn't have an affect on lithium ion batteries.

:thinking:

In my less than expert opinion and arising from research here and there on the web and a little empiric data leads me to believe that isn't quite true, and also that there are a coupla things at work here (or can be) when batteries go awry.

Recently, I experienced an issue with my battery calibration, and possibly combined with a battery "break-in" failure on my part, resulted in a Seidio 3500 mAh battery going from 100 to 65% in under 5 minutes. Bran' new.

When I received the battery, the package included no instructions to perform the break-in sequence (5-6 full cycles of the battery) that they seem to now be promoting.

My battery wasn't really performing the way I expected and then I rooted my phone and installed mikmik's latest. Had some fun with that and then decided to try cm7... Didn't really like it... mikmik's rom seems more usable to me. So I went back to mik<forget the rest>.

Now my battery is in the state that I described above. And I am in no way a poweruser. I even download my roms over my home network rather than on the phone. I noted in the documentation for the battery info reset app that after switching roms, you should re-calibrate your battery.

After a buncha further research, I ended up charging to 100, resetting my battery info, and then bump charging the phone very much like described in the original post.

Now, after an hour, I still have 96% charge at 4.117v. Before, the phone was telling me that the battery was fully charged at just *under* 4v. Fully charged is supposed to be 4.2 volts, phone shutdown requiring reboot attached to the charger occurs at 3.5 volts. So the phone was throwing away 2/7 or almost 1/3 of my battery life!

Assuming that the battery voltage reading is accurate, something was severely wrong with my phone's management of my battery or my battery was hosed. The bump charging to boost the ceiling on the battery idea arose from reading a number of threads and the conditioning instructions from Seidio.

Recalibration of the battery seemed to be in order and after which, the bump charging process occurred to me. Wish I had seen this thread a week ago :eek:

D'ohBoy

Reactions: scudder
Upvote 0
This picture is from 100%, WIFI disabled, 3G and yes I was playing WWF, but the battery consumption is ridiculous. What do you guys think? This is pretty much what happens to me on a daily basis...As an example from 100% I restart the phone and it loses 15%. More, from 100% and 4.2V to 98% and 4.05V in 2 secs.

Attachments

• battery.JPG
    battery.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 91
Upvote 0
In my less than expert opinion and arising from research here and there on the web and a little empiric data leads me to believe that isn't quite true, and also that there are a coupla things at work here (or can be) when batteries go awry.

Recently, I experienced an issue with my battery calibration, and possibly combined with a battery "break-in" failure on my part, resulted in a Seidio 3500 mAh battery going from 100 to 65% in under 5 minutes. Bran' new.

When I received the battery, the package included no instructions to perform the break-in sequence (5-6 full cycles of the battery) that they seem to now be promoting.

My battery wasn't really performing the way I expected and then I rooted my phone and installed mikmik's latest. Had some fun with that and then decided to try cm7... Didn't really like it... mikmik's rom seems more usable to me. So I went back to mik<forget the rest>.

Now my battery is in the state that I described above. And I am in no way a poweruser. I even download my roms over my home network rather than on the phone. I noted in the documentation for the battery info reset app that after switching roms, you should re-calibrate your battery.

After a buncha further research, I ended up charging to 100, resetting my battery info, and then bump charging the phone very much like described in the original post.

Now, after an hour, I still have 96% charge at 4.117v. Before, the phone was telling me that the battery was fully charged at just *under* 4v. Fully charged is supposed to be 4.2 volts, phone shutdown requiring reboot attached to the charger occurs at 3.5 volts. So the phone was throwing away 2/7 or almost 1/3 of my battery life!

Assuming that the battery voltage reading is accurate, something was severely wrong with my phone's management of my battery or my battery was hosed. The bump charging to boost the ceiling on the battery idea arose from reading a number of threads and the conditioning instructions from Seidio.

Recalibration of the battery seemed to be in order and after which, the bump charging process occurred to me. Wish I had seen this thread a week ago :eek:

D'ohBoy
Followup to my Seidio 3500 mAh Battery adventures

So the process of bump charging after the first time the charging indicates 100% at 4v involving restarting the phone will eventually get the battery up to 4.2 volts but it takes five or six repetitions of the process *every time* you charge the phone to get that extra 0.2v.

In pursuit of better charging and battery life and of course a taste of something new I flashed the cm7 ICS mod and a Savage kernel with sbc (smart battery charging). I also installed a cpu manager (a simple one that doesn't let me fart around too much - dynamite in the hands of babes and all that ;) ).

I do like the ICS mod to cm7 - I had earlier tried cm7 and through a combination of some differences from sense (was my second flash, first rom was mikg2.59) and a bit of confusion I gave up on it.

I will recalibrate my battery and report back on the charging with this new kernel. Might do some rudimentary analysis as well.

D'ohBoy

Upvote 0
So was in NYC this past weekend & totally geeked & prep for the urban jungle with my stock EVO & battery.

I usually get a good 8 hours @ home but in NYC the battery drained without really any usage.
I even turned off data mobile connection using plane mode while underground in the subways & it still drained.

Both cell & data signals were strong while above ground walking everywhere & even in the stores, they were strong.

I'm on 2.3.3 stock & my wife is still on 2.2 but her batt was unaffected up there.

Any possible reasons?

[UPDATE]:

Well after getting back from NYC, I uninstall an app called Tap Tap App which uses the proximity sensor to wake up the phone.

I guess it woke my phone so much even inside a dark pocket that it drained all my battery while NYC. So I uninstalled it & everything is back being fine.

Upvote 0
So was in NYC this past weekend &amp; totally geeked &amp; prep for the urban jungle with my stock EVO &amp; battery.

I usually get a good 8 hours @ home but in NYC the battery drained without really any usage.
I even turned off data mobile connection using plane mode while underground in the subways &amp; it still drained.

Both cell &amp; data signals were strong while above ground walking everywhere &amp; even in the stores, they were strong.

I'm on 2.3.3 stock &amp; my wife is still on 2.2 but her batt was unaffected up there.

Any possible reasons?

[UPDATE]:

Well after getting back from NYC, I uninstall an app called Tap Tap App which uses the proximity sensor to wake up the phone.

I guess it woke my phone so much even inside a dark pocket that it drained all my battery while NYC. So I uninstalled it &amp; everything is back being fine.

Good catch, an awake phone will pound the battery especially for long periods. Even if the screen is off, when an app is running in the background you can have significant battery drain.

Upvote 0
I got the phone only 1 month. It turns off and I have to take the battery out to turn my phone on. This is happening about 50 times per day. This is the most common phone problem with all brands and nobody actually knows a solution. I have bought 2 new batteries and still have the same problem. When ever the phone is in my pocket the slightest bit of movement it dies. If someone has a solution please let me know

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones