• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Possible bricked incredible...any fix?

eplafferty

Lurker
Aug 17, 2011
so i have an incredible that i rooted, then flashed omgb gingerbread 2.3. i decided that i wanted to unroot and downgrade back to stock froyo so that i could sell the phone and use it towards an upgrade. i followed the instructions on How To: Unroot the HTC Incredible | TheUnlockr

after completion and reboot, my phone screen stays black and my phone vibrates on power up, and nothing else. ive tried multiple battery pulls and power ups and still get the same result. no amber light when plugged in either. any chance ya'll have a fix to my problem? thanks in advance

It's not bricked most likely. Guessing you have an SLCD Incredible and reverted back to the 2.1 OS which doesn't support your display. So things are working, you just can't see them. You need the Froyo RUU/PB31IMG and some instructs. Check this out:

Downgrade to unroot. Huge No No! | doug piston

Any questions just ask, several of us have been through this many times.

Reactions: eplafferty
Upvote 0
It's not bricked most likely. Guessing you have an SLCD Incredible and reverted back to the 2.1 OS which doesn't support your display. So things are working, you just can't see them. You need the Froyo RUU/PB31IMG and some instructs. Check this out:

Downgrade to unroot. Huge No No! | doug piston

Any questions just ask, several of us have been through this many times.

yes, yes, yes!!! worked like a charm!!! thanks a whole lot. one more question and then ill get out of your hair. do you know if this process has unrooted my phone and put it back to stock 2.2? i see that it is 2.2 but idk if thats a custom 2.2. reason im asking is because i see that gingerbread ota update is due out for this phone soon and i want to upgrade it.

Upvote 0
yes, yes, yes!!! worked like a charm!!! thanks a whole lot. one more question and then ill get out of your hair. do you know if this process has unrooted my phone and put it back to stock 2.2? i see that it is 2.2 but idk if thats a custom 2.2. reason im asking is because i see that gingerbread ota update is due out for this phone soon and i want to upgrade it.

You are now stock unrooted 2.2, although you will still be s-off if you used anywhere near a recent version of Unrevoked to root. Most people don't consider that to be a big deal but it's up to you. If you wanted to remove that, you'd have to re-root, then apply the s-on patch in recovery which is flashed like a rom:

http://downloads.unrevoked.com/forever/current/unrevoked-forever-son.zip

Then you would have to unroot again and be done. Note that the gingerbread OTA was delayed until further notice.

Reactions: eplafferty
Upvote 0
You are now stock unrooted 2.2, although you will still be s-off if you used anywhere near a recent version of Unrevoked to root. Most people don't consider that to be a big deal but it's up to you. If you wanted to remove that, you'd have to re-root, then apply the s-on patch in recovery which is flashed like a rom:

http://downloads.unrevoked.com/forever/current/unrevoked-forever-son.zip

Then you would have to unroot again and be done. Note that the gingerbread OTA was delayed until further notice.

yeah i seen it, highly disappointed. was hoping to up the value a bit with updating it before i sell, but i guess the next owner will have to worry about it. as long as leaving the s-off wont interfere with the future ota gingerbread update (if verizon stops being dbags and actually puts it out.) im not concerned with it. but thanks for clarifying tho!

Upvote 0
HELLLPPP...reason im on this thread...my phone did the same thing mentioned in the first post and im at a loss of what to do. i oddly followed the same path as plafferty and arrived at the same result. the link suggested (dougpiston.com/?p=133[/url]) is broken...does anyone know where i could view this or a similar page or summarize how i may overcome this problem?
Thanx in advance!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones