• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Post ways to get awesome battery life.

Juice defender does not work on this phone yet. I personally can't wait for 3G/4g toggle, I mean really, I do not need 4g for listening to pandora, and when I do, I'll flick it on. I see 4g as like having a turbo for a car. You almost never really need it, but when you do....

I am an Android SUPER-NEWB. I did this: http://androidforums.com/2444768-post5.html
I live 100 miles from any 4G but wanted this phone for other reasons. coming from BB Storm, quite the learning curve. so, I don't know if this is a good approach but it certainly is an easy way to toggle.
Open app, click on "phone information", scroll down to "Set prefferred network type" and change from "CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto" to "CDMA auto (PRL)"

Also has batt info, usage info and wifi info.

Upvote 0
spare battery is fine but only way to charge spare is in the phone. if you're going to charge your spare in your phone you might as well use the original phone.

spare is pointless. Only reason to have it is if you buy the dock.
Which is exactly why I will buy the dock if no other stand alone batt charger becomes soon available. I'm a lite-weight user but there are times when having a second battery is just plain convenient and comforting. For most of my previous phones (last BB excluded - great batt life), I always had a stand alone charger and extra batt. With TB - even more the reason to have this.

Upvote 0
Battery life seems quite adequate after a couple of overnight charges. Certainly adequate for my purposes. I check email and do a fair number of internet searches during the day, mostly on wifi. I am content with the stock battery. Heavy use requires a midday hookup to my car charger at times but not usually.

Upvote 0
After I did the Android Battery fix I woke up this morning at 7:57am and unplugged my phone. I've been using it as I always would through the day and it is 12:19pm now (4.5hr later) and I am at 70%. I have changed no settings, downloaded no special apps, actually did *nothing* other than perform a proper Android charge routine the first time and I'm fine.

Please enlighten us: what is "the Android Battery Fix?" After owning the Incredible for a year, I've never heard of it...

Upvote 0
I am new to droid and I am stoked to have the Thunderbolt. I am reading everything everyone posts in regard to battery life. Mine is super short.

I just turned off the GPS. I am not hight tech so I appreciate all the helpfull hints. I would like to know how to delete a wiggit though. I got something off the market that I did;nt like and i can't figure out how to remove it.

to remove it from the homescreen, press and hold. after a short vibrate, drag down to "Remove"

to delete it completely, from the homescreen, click menu, settings, apps, manage apps..... click on the one you wish to remove and click it.
i personally delete the data, force stop it, then remove it!
:D

Upvote 0
I am really wondering if I should have made the switch to this phone. It has not been delivered yet, but the battery life sounds pretty bad from everything I have read this far.

I easily get a full day out of my Incredible and never even worry about it. Never downloaded any program to try and increase battery life.

I knew going in that the battery life was going to be less, but thought it wouldn't even be an issue. I see that some people are getting 5-6 hours?? That would not work for me.

Are my concerns unwarranted?

Upvote 0
I am really wondering if I should have made the switch to this phone. It has not been delivered yet, but the battery life sounds pretty bad from everything I have read this far.

I easily get a full day out of my Incredible and never even worry about it. Never downloaded any program to try and increase battery life.

I knew going in that the battery life was going to be less, but thought it wouldn't even be an issue. I see that some people are getting 5-6 hours?? That would not work for me.

Here is my experience...

My first charge was around 6.5 hours and I was actively setting up the device for the first 90 minutes. Took it off charge at 4:30 AM and went on a long road trip. It sat mostly dormant in extended coverage but TweetDeck was updating in the background and I had push email from Exchange active along with two Yahoo mail accounts. I checked in a couple of times with foursquare.

At the conference on WiFi, I had it on most of the day. Everything from playing round during the boring speakers to taking notes using Evernote or finding info on the web. I also used twitter and Facebook and loaded a few more apps and goofed off on the web. I also took some photos and shared them on a forum using Tappatalk. I also texted about 1 dozen times.

By the 3:30 break, I was at 10% charge and plugged it in for a little over 10 minutes. I then continued to use it until we ended up done a little after 5. I did all but run out of juice by then.

I used my original Motorola Droid car charger to charge it on the two hour drive home while the unit was on. I had some use last evening and then left it on but not charging overnight. (Twitter and Email kept checking. (I do 3 minute updates with twitter using Tweetdeck.))

This morning I streamed Pandora for a couple of hours over WiFi and finally ran YouTube using 3G for 20 minutes and played Angry Birds another 15 minutes before the battery died completely.

Under normal circumstances, I would have been fine with my normal routine of charging the battery when in the car and sleeping.

Upvote 0
I am almost at the 26 hours mark on my charge. I attribute most of it to being in wifi most of the time. I have made about half dozen phone calls, 10-15 text, angry birds, words with friends, facebook, and a decent amount of browsing. I also ran juice defender yesterday to see how it would work. It claimed to save about 24% battery for me. I then turned off juice defender when I went to sleep last night. It was at 43% and I woke up with 42% - so this was really strange.

It seems in my case that wifi makes a huge difference in battery life. When I turn off wifi and go to network it drains much quicker. I seem to bounce back and forth from 3G to 4G so maybe this is a cause of excess drain.

I ordered 5 micro usb cables so I always can be charge wherever I am, whether at work, car, home, etc.

Upvote 0

I really like the phone and have not had any worse battery performance with this phone after conditioning the battery than I did with the Droid, from which I upgraded. Ithink you will be happy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones