• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Power On/Off issues

jlink7

Lurker
May 25, 2011
My A500 Iconia seemingly chooses to completely power off at random. Just recently I was sitting at my desk and powered it on (it had powered off sometime overnight while I was charging it) because I planned on using it in a few minutes. I walked away for about 15-20 minutes and it had shut itself all the way off again.

That leads me to my second issue: Powering on. Supposedly this is supposed work by holding the power button for 2 seconds, right? Mine usually takes me two or three tries of holding it for upwards of 5-10 seconds before it finally gives me the "bzzt" letting me know that it's going to let me turn it on. It has never actually FAILED to turn on, but it is annoying that I have to sit there sometimes pushing the button for 10 seconds only to have to release and try again just to get it to turn on. Does anybody else have this issue, and if you do, was there anything you did to correct it?

I'm hesitant to get bring it in for "warranty" work because I dont want to be without it for a month, but I also don't have to worry about these issues forever... any advice?

This is one of the traits with the "wake out of sleep" issue, along with sometimes coming out of sleep mode and not going back to sleep.

The power downs and restes are far less common, but I had the issue with two A500s.

Waiting for proof the updates are fixing the wake & sleep issues. No sign the updates have fixed this yet. Looks like I may be stuck with my gTablet for my trip to England :(

I will just hang out in pubs more :)

Upvote 0
This is one of the traits with the "wake out of sleep" issue, along with sometimes coming out of sleep mode and not going back to sleep.

The power downs and restes are far less common, but I had the issue with two A500s.

Waiting for proof the updates are fixing the wake & sleep issues. No sign the updates have fixed this yet. Looks like I may be stuck with my gTablet for my trip to England :(

I will just hang out in pubs more :)

Hi,

I think you should come down to the UK without your gTablet and buy a European Build: 1.139.04 GEN 1 Acer Iconia Tab A500, and prove that the two Acer Iconia Tab A500 1.141.07 GEN 1 (USA Build) are problematic.

I bet the European Build: 1.139.04 GEN 1 Acer Iconia Tab A500 will work perfectly like mine.

cheers :)

"Trouble springs from idleness, and grievous toil from needless ease." - Benjamin Franklin

@rushmore: US$150 more is a small price to pay for peace of mind :)

Upvote 0
Hi,

I think you should come down to the UK without your gTablet and buy a European Build: 1.139.04 GEN 1 Acer Iconia Tab A500, and prove that the two Acer Iconia Tab A500 1.141.07 GEN 1 (USA Build) are problematic.

I bet the European Build: 1.139.04 GEN 1 Acer Iconia Tab A500 will work perfectly like mine.

cheers :)

"Trouble springs from idleness, and grievous toil from needless ease." - Benjamin Franklin

Only catch is I think the price would be about $150 more..... Less beer and Indian food money :eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones