• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Predict the 5 AT&T Android Phone

I'm not saying they don't have a way out. I'm saying their way out is through another press release, and if they had any thoughts they were going to not make their plans, they should have announced a change to the schedule already.

By the way, reading that press release again gives me an idea. It says "five new devices from Dell, HTC and Motorola based on the Android platform". That means, they had 5 phones in mind from those 3 manufacturers, which does not include Samsung (not saying they won't GET the i897/Galaxy-S, but it's not part of the 5).

Motorola Backflip
Dell Aero
Dell Streak? (Already launched in Europe, they could launch in US fast).
HTC Intruder?
HTC Aero/Liberty?

They could theoretically launch both HTC phones at the same time. One an entry/mid and one a high-end.

I did a pretty extensive search for any android-related events in June that could herald any announcements. The only thing I came up with was June 30th, Qualcomm Uplinq 2010, a tradeshow put on by the company that makes the Snapdragon. Hmmm.

Upvote 0
they can 'plan' all they want...investors will dig deep for the company that was able to keep the Iphone exclusive and the hype following all the not-new-to-the-real-world features will still cause millions of sold units and tons of investors to flock to AT&T.

Meanwhile very few of their customers actually care about getting a high end android...its just the plain truth. While people will buy good Android phones if available. to most of the public there is no difference between the two except the apple brand name is that much cooler.

Upvote 0
I honestly have to wonder how well the Aero's going to sell if it ever hits shelves. I know the Backflip is actually selling well, but I just can't see the Aero selling well. Though I guess most people that buy phones don't actually research the phones, just play with them for half a second or take the sales rep's word on recommendation.

Upvote 0
I honestly have to wonder how well the Aero's going to sell if it ever hits shelves. I know the Backflip is actually selling well, but I just can't see the Aero selling well. Though I guess most people that buy phones don't actually research the phones, just play with them for half a second or take the sales rep's word on recommendation.

I'm sure it will be hyped up enough to sell, but the folks in the stores will be able to point to the Iphone4 as the superior phone and I'm sure they'll be pressed to sell those more.

Upvote 0
I don't think it is just the UI.

It was going to launch on Android 1.5(thus being legacy out the door), it has a "lower end" processor, its screen was smallish 3.5 640x360, its video capture is laughable CIF(352x288)@30fps and its battery was 1000mwh.

While that hits a spot in Brazil and China markets, it would be about equal to the low end Backflip.

I wonder if they are hoping to get the Streak out and hope people forget about the Aero until they can market it as a low end/non hardware KB Android offering.

Upvote 0
I don't think it is just the UI.

It was going to launch on Android 1.5(thus being legacy out the door), it has a "lower end" processor, its screen was smallish 3.5 640x360, its video capture is laughable CIF(352x288)@30fps and its battery was 1000mwh.

While that hits a spot in Brazil and China markets, it would be about equal to the low end Backflip.

I wonder if they are hoping to get the Streak out and hope people forget about the Aero until they can market it as a low end/non hardware KB Android offering.

"Lower End" processor is an understatement. It's like a higher clocked version of the processor in my dumb phone. At least as far as I can tell from what I've found. Pretty sad if you ask me. Actually the processor is almost the same as the one in my Dell Axim X50v from 5 years ago.

Edit: After doing a little bit more research it actually appears that on a clock for clock basis the processor in the Aero is slower than the processor in my Axim. Now that is seriously pathetic.

Upvote 0
They don't give firm dates until its a week out...heck look a the Aero...when was that announcement? And still no release date. Most likely because they're still 'personalizing' the interface with awesome yahoo search and disabling google maps unless you buy AT&T navigator :)

They do not have to disable google maps it is running 1.5 and google maps takes 2.0 or greater which is why the backflip does not have it either.

Upvote 0
my windows 6.5 phone can use google maps :p

Thats an interesting observation though...cant use the free Google Navigator unless you have 2.0+. No wonder they like having android 1.5/1.6 on their brand new devices.

Galaxy S and HTC devices will have 2.0+ surely though, but we'll have to see how AT&T changes them. We could only hope they dont mess them up too much beyond rootability.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones