• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pro/con of buying from Verizon direct vs. Amazon, Radio Shack, Best Buy?

starlily

Mar 23, 2013
Hi - anyone got good granular info on why to buy or not buy a Samsung Galaxy Note II (that will be on Verizon network) from Amazon or Best Buy or Radio Shack instead of from a Verizon store or Verizon website directly?

(I know Amazon will charge you $400 if you ditch the contract in the first 6 months and you can't change the *type* of contract ... but besides that?)

I'm wondering things like ease of taking it in and completeness of coverage (I'd like the type that lets you do at least one really dumb thing with your phone and still have it covered without jumping through hoops).

I'm looking at prices today of $149.99 via Amazon, $199 via Radio Shack, $299 via Verizon store or their website and you know how Best Buy is great at matching.

All those except in-store Verizon require the share-everything plan, which is $40 for the smartphone line access per month and $60 for the 2GB data. *However* in-store, two different stores' reps have told me that it's possible to activate on a $70/month plan that gives you something like 2GB and 350-450 minutes of talk (one is $40 and the other part is $30 or something in that ballpark give or take $5-10). I've been consistently within those parameters, so it'd same me some bucks and I could always switch higher. But I dunno if it's worth the difference between the $149 that Amazon's golden handcuffs would charge vs. the $299 Verizon would charge for the phone.

I'm in L.A. and decided I have to move to Verizon from AT&T because their download speed at one of their stores that I just tested was at like 43 mpbs download speed. Girl at the store claimed they did not have any kind of booster ... AT&T store down the road had a crappy signal.

Edited to add: Guy on Verizon chat window says he's never heard of the in-store plans that two store reps told me about, and also mentioned that third-party sellers have some $9.99 a month hidden fee baked in. (But I can't see where exactly that is as the pricing looks the same, as to the share-everything-plan parameters.)

We bought ours through Best Buy. it was quicker and they were easier to work with than the Verizon stores around us.

As for plans we are on the old share plans and went with 2 GB each to save on money. If we went with the all share plans would of been a extra 30 dollars a month.

As for the 9.99 a month Best Buy doesn't have that as the bill comes from not Verizon this is the second time we have upgraded thru Best Buy. Some Verizon stores will tell you stuff so you go through them.

Reactions: starlily
Upvote 0
Thanks all ... I opted to go with the Verizon store to be on safe side and 'needed' it in person vs. shipment ... asked salesgirl what they could do on price and she got her manager to cut $50 off. (Actually opted to get a few accessories that totaled over $50 that they gave me for $50 and kept original price ... she gave me the choice of the discount or the stuff.) Something just in case anyone is also shopping ... a guy at the AT&T store *while using an iPad* went to Google and chose the first non-ad link for AT&T and the first ad that popped up on his screen was a refurb Galaxy Note II for 99 cents ... however when we got to that section it showed $199 and IIRC it was out of stock. So there might be a slim chance that this is a sale that is around for when they are in-stock, on AT&T. The ad would not show up on his computer, and I couldn't get it to load on my computer either ... but it was there on his iPad, one of the rotating four or so ads at the top.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones