• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problem connecting to ATT to check for update

mmoffitt9241

Sep 3, 2010
I've tried to connect to ATT 4 or 5 times over the last week to check for updates and it always tells me that the communication failed. I've tried it on both wifi and 3g. Of course every time I try I have to wait for another 24 hours before I can try again...I'm running the stock operating system with the OTA update, rooted and Lagfix...

Any ideas?

A search of the forum disclosed this:

From the Home screen, press the Menu button and select Settings.
  1. Select Application, then Manage Applications
  2. Press the Menu button, then Filter, then select Running.
  3. Scroll down the list and select Device management.
  4. Under the Storage section, press the Clear data button.
  5. Power your phone off, then back on.

See if it works for you. If not, there's another method that requires root and can be found here:

Software Updates - CapFAQ

Upvote 0
If you are running JH7 already, there is no new update. you are not missing anything. When an update comes, you will know it because there will be like 50 identical posts about it here, it will be all over the web, AT&T will send you a notice, etc.

If you feel the need to check every day, then try what jack re-posted. If you want to try several times a day, manually change your date one day ahead each time you check. It will work for about 14 times. But then you will have to wait like a week.:eek:

Upvote 0
A search of the forum disclosed this:

From the Home screen, press the Menu button and select Settings.
  1. Select Application, then Manage Applications
  2. Press the Menu button, then Filter, then select Running.
  3. Scroll down the list and select Device management.
  4. Under the Storage section, press the Clear data button.
  5. Power your phone off, then back on.

See if it works for you. If not, there's another method that requires root and can be found here:

Software Updates - CapFAQ

I tried the first method and still got the same communication error. Then I went to try the second method. I don't have ADB, but tried to navigate to the dbdata folder using Astro (file manager). I got to that directory fine but there was no files or other directories there...it was just an empty folder.

Any other ideas?:mad:

Upvote 0
I finally got it to work. Used the first method above but had to remove the battery after turning off the phone. When I reinstalled the battery and turned it back on, I was able to get the "no updates" available from ATT instead of the communication error. So at least on my phone, the battery was the key...

Thanks for everyone's help!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones