• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Problem with dropped data connection after CM6 root (GBD)

No the 911 problem was related to the rom not the radio. Yes you'll have to fill out the waiver on Rogers site or your data will get cut.

Sorry but I don't have a link to the waiver page.

gbd

Thanks. I will keep this information handy but for now I think I will not revert to the other radio as I am a little concerned about the wording of the Rogers waiver. Maybe this issue will be fixed another way? Is there a chance that the CM6 will be updated to a newer radio?

Upvote 0
Thanks. I will keep this information handy but for now I think I will not revert to the other radio as I am a little concerned about the wording of the Rogers waiver. Maybe this issue will be fixed another way? Is there a chance that the CM6 will be updated to a newer radio?

You should ask cyanogen crew they are in better position to reply to this question. IMO unless a good 2.2 with 6.35 radio (maybe the SFR one) comes out for the Dream/Sapphire i think we have to stick to 3.22

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Ok all, I'm going to update my script this weekend to include a choice of which Radio to install and a link to the waiver page at Rogers.com

In the meantime if anybody want's instructions on how to switch their Radio from the E911 Dream 3.22.27.17 to the Pre-E911 Magic 3.22.20.17, just let me know.

gbd

Yes please GreatBigDog, I would like the instructions.

Do you know if CM works with any other radio, especially the newer ones?

Upvote 0
Yes please GreatBigDog, I would like the instructions.

Do you know if CM works with any other radio, especially the newer ones?

Instructions

1. Download the Pre-E911 radio from here
2. Copy the file to the same folder as your fastboot.exe
3. Connect your phone via usb to your PC
4. Open up a command prompt and navigate to the directory with fastboot.exe
5. Enter the following in command window

a) adb devices (you should see your phones serial number)
b) adb shell reboot bootloader (phone will reboot into fastboot)
c) fastboot devices (you should see your phones serial number)

6. Check that your current radio version is 3.22.26.17

Enter the following in command window

fastboot flash radio Radio_HTC_PVT_32A_3.22.20.17OldRadio.img

6. After the radio is done flashing Enter the following in command window

fastboot reboot-bootloader

7. Check the radio version is 3.22.20.17 and then Enter the following in command window

fastboot oem powerdown

8. Reboot your phone normally and you are now on the old radio. Make sure that you get the waiver filled out first or Rogers will cut your data.

CM will work natively with any 2.x radio and will work on any 3.x radio with an EBI1 port

gbd

Upvote 0
This is strange.... woke up this morning and the radio was locked up again, shows full bars but no 3G icon. And this time, I can't get it back. Toggled Airplane Mode on and off, rebooted the phone... did a few battery pulls, checked the APN's... no dice. Guess I'll give Rogers a call when I get to work and see what I can figure out.

Upvote 0
When I spoke with Rogers yesterday, the tech I was talking with had no idea about the waiver (I had to give him the address to he could check it out). He just kept insisting that I upgrade to 2.1, which I told him I'd already had problems with... Then he says 'Yeah, it fails for a lot of people at around 60%'. So.... if there are problems with it failing, why are you telling me to flash it? Geez. He also told me my SIM was too old to support 3G (it was from my Blackberry and about 8 years old). New to me, and a previous Rogers tech never mentioned it. He said just pop the SIM from the Blackberry into the new phone and good to go. Phone guy yesterday said with the old SIM it would show 3G or H but actually be connected at EDGE speeds. Sooo... Long story short I picked up a new SIM, flashed to the newest 6 series radio and used the rooted stock 2.1 rom from over at XDA. So far no issues what so ever with the radio going to sleep. New rom is pretty snappy too!

Upvote 0
I've been running 3.22.20.17 for 24 hours now, not one instance of my phone losing its connection. Thats a huge change from the day before and its +10 ****ups. But the waiver doesn't work, so I'm just waiting for Rogers to cut it. Maybe I'll flash the rooted version of the rogers 2.1, see how it compares with CM6.

Of course that still leaves my fiancee's dream... Maybe I'll break my rules of never speaking with anyone from rogers(they are always clueless or at least act like it), and call in to have them confirm the IMIE's associated with my account.

Upvote 0
Yeah my IMEI was also not accepted when trying to use the waiver. I called Rogers and asked for a network refresh, he refused and told me to wait 2 weeks one of their "experts" to resolve the data issue. I think I'll try the 2.1 rooted image on xda. Does anyone know of a guide to get form CM6 to the rooted 2.1? I could try, but don't want to risk bricking as I've heard people have bricked trying to switch...

Mark

Upvote 0
Yeah my IMEI was also not accepted when trying to use the waiver. I called Rogers and asked for a network refresh, he refused and told me to wait 2 weeks one of their "experts" to resolve the data issue. I think I'll try the 2.1 rooted image on xda. Does anyone know of a guide to get form CM6 to the rooted 2.1? I could try, but don't want to risk bricking as I've heard people have bricked trying to switch...

Mark

If you need your imei to be entered in the waiver database list just contact @RogersMary and ask her to escalate your issue. She should have someone from the networking team call you within the next 48 hours.

Upvote 0

Mark

I downloaded the 2.1 rooted rom from here: [Rom][NR][32A]RCMagic v3.0 Incl JIT Hebrew RTL reboot menu |Android 2.1[sep 12] - xda-developers, and RadioSwitcher from here: [TOOL]Radio Switcher v."GUI 4.1" More secure than ever! [Win/Linux/Mac] - xda-developers

And followed these directions from page 14 of that thread:

1. Created a nandroid backup of CM6, from recovery mode.
2. Copied the Rogers_21_capychimp.zip to the root of the sd card
3. Downloaded radio switcher v4, to change the radio to the newest (6.35.16.19) instead of 3.22.26.17 (and SPL 1.33.2010) that I had to use for CM6
4. Got into fastboot mode by Power+Volume down.
5. Ran the RadioSwitcherGUIv4.0 and clicked flash new to get the 1.76.2007 engineering SPL and the newest radio (To go back to CM6, you just need to click flash old and then restore your nandroid backup)
6. Reboot phone and then go into recovery mode and wipe everything
7. Install the Rogers_21_capychimp.zip file.
8. Reboot the phone and you should now have a rooted offical rogers 2.1 update with Amon-RA recovery and an engineering SPL!

The only mistake I made (and it was almost a big one) was when it came to step 5. Using RadioSwitcher only flashed the new radio as I misunderstood what I read.... be sure you use the 'Flash New' option up at the top left of the screen. It will update your radio, spl and recovery. Once I got that sorted out, it was a piece of cake. I'm quite happy with the stock rom, it's very snappy and I've had no data issues at all.

Reactions: va3jlf and markW
Upvote 0
I downloaded the 2.1 rooted rom from here: [Rom][NR][32A]RCMagic v3.0 Incl JIT Hebrew RTL reboot menu |Android 2.1[sep 12] - xda-developers, and RadioSwitcher from here: [TOOL]Radio Switcher v."GUI 4.1" More secure than ever! [Win/Linux/Mac] - xda-developers

And followed these directions from page 14 of that thread:

1. Created a nandroid backup of CM6, from recovery mode.
2. Copied the Rogers_21_capychimp.zip to the root of the sd card
3. Downloaded radio switcher v4, to change the radio to the newest (6.35.16.19) instead of 3.22.26.17 (and SPL 1.33.2010) that I had to use for CM6
4. Got into fastboot mode by Power+Volume down.
5. Ran the RadioSwitcherGUIv4.0 and clicked flash new to get the 1.76.2007 engineering SPL and the newest radio (To go back to CM6, you just need to click flash old and then restore your nandroid backup)
6. Reboot phone and then go into recovery mode and wipe everything
7. Install the Rogers_21_capychimp.zip file.
8. Reboot the phone and you should now have a rooted offical rogers 2.1 update with Amon-RA recovery and an engineering SPL!

The only mistake I made (and it was almost a big one) was when it came to step 5. Using RadioSwitcher only flashed the new radio as I misunderstood what I read.... be sure you use the 'Flash New' option up at the top left of the screen. It will update your radio, spl and recovery. Once I got that sorted out, it was a piece of cake. I'm quite happy with the stock rom, it's very snappy and I've had no data issues at all.

Thanks Forts, I was able to flash the (rooted) Rogers ROM without issues. Data is still down, but I'll call Rogers tomorrow and get a network refresh.

Mark

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones