• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Problems rooting 2.1

I have been studying rooting for a few weeks and thought I was ready. I Downloaded the RUU and reverted my phone to .5 that was fine. I cannot get my phone past step 8. I put in "cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools" and it pops up but I cannot enter "adb devices".

I downloaded the android SDK zip and unzipped it to C:\android-sdk-windows\tools. I downloaded hero-root.zip and unzipped it to the same file. I already have Htc sync loaded but I am unsure which version I have.

I believe I am screwing up the extracting of the hero-root.zip file. Or maybe I don't have the proper SDK drivers? Im getting frustrated, Im new to this so bear with me.

That is possible, but if you don't mind spending about $2, you can download Root Explorer from the market. Then all u gotta do with root explorer is click the tab to r/w go to system then apps and long press on the bloatware you don't want then click delete. Much easier this way then having to use android sdk and cmd prompt. Your call though.

Upvote 0
I went with unrevoked and it worked fine. Then I installed the root explored and rom manager. No I just need to pick a rom. Is there a link to a list of Roma and their features? Also. I'm pretty sure I seen a list of apps that are safe to remove, does anyone have a link to that?

What kind of rom do you want to start with, AOSP rom or a Sense UI rom?

Upvote 0
Im not sure what AOSP is to tell you the truth, like I said im pretty new to this and I dont want to get in over my head. I loaded fresh 2.4 (which is sense ui) on my sd card and flashed it this morning, Im still messing with it.

I dont see the unrevoked app, the root explorer or rom manager in the list of apps. Should I have saved them to sd card im assuming. should i reinstall them? there is es file explorer which looks like it is similar to the root explorer so im still rooted correct.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones