• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Problems Unrooting!! DESPERATE FOR HELP

Are you there?

Try this command (yes, in the tools folder)

DIR recovery.img

Does it tell you how big the file is, or say "File Not Found" (or similar)?

If you get a "File not Found" message, just type the command (same place)

DIR /w /p

and look through the list of files - is the recovery.img file in there? Is it the right size? Is it named wrong? Is the capitalization wrong (that's a long shot with the command window, but just checking)

There are some obscure things that could make this situation more complicated than it appears - for instance if the file was incompletely downloaded and it was still locked, or you have NTFS permission problems (where the file was downloaded or copied into place by one Windows user, and you are logged in as another user without read permissions). At the moment though, I'm tending to believe it's something simpler than that.

???

Reactions: Mrkarias
Upvote 0
IT WORKED! I did the DIR command and it finally found it then, i tried the fastboot...and it found it.

WOW after all this time Man..I was about to throw this phone against the wall.. but im the one with the stupidity...as far as i know this eris is smarter than I am

hey Thanks for sticking around with me Erisuser1...and for that patience bro!

FREAKIN ROCK DUDE!

Upvote 0
IT WORKED! I did the DIR command and it finally found it then, i tried the fastboot...and it found it.

WOW after all this time Man..I was about to throw this phone against the wall.. but im the one with the stupidity...as far as i know this eris is smarter than I am

hey Thanks for sticking around with me Erisuser1...and for that patience bro!

FREAKIN ROCK DUDE!

When you apply the 2.1 OTA update, let the phone do it's thing! It will sit at certain screens for quite a long time (at one point the flashing appears to get "stuck", and it will sit at the "Three Skateboarders" for a while too - let the phone do it's thing. DON'T INTERRUPT IT!

If you were to buy me a Starbucks coffee, I think that would work out to about $2/hour. I should get a job at McDonalds for minimum wage - asking "You want fries with that?" would be a whole lot easier, and I'd get paid more :D

eu1

( actually - just go and hit the "Thanks" button on every one of my posts - that will help a little, as I am a "thanks whore" :D )

Upvote 0
When you apply the 2.1 OTA update, let the phone do it's thing! It will sit at certain screens for quite a long time (at one point the flashing appears to get "stuck", and it will sit at the "Three Skateboarders" for a while too - let the phone do it's thing. DON'T INTERRUPT IT!

If you were to buy me a Starbucks coffee, I think that would work out to about $2/hour. I should get a job at McDonalds for minimum wage - asking "You want fries with that?" would be a whole lot easier, and I'd get paid more :D

eu1

Ur right man, people with ALOT less patience would have said SCREW it a long time ago man....

But thank you, the OTA is updating now and ill leave it alone.

Maybe getting you a bottle of Patron, to calm the nerves would suffice???:eek:

Upvote 0

eu1

( actually - just go and hit the "Thanks" button on every one of my posts - that will help a little, as I am a "thanks whore" :D )

Yes Sir, all 'THANKS" are now in order!

(HAHA THANKS WHORE..That's FUnny you Dirty SON OF A __ jk)

Upvote 0

eu1

Yes Sir, all "Thanks" are now in order

(HAHA "THANKS WHORE"--that's FUNNY You dirty Son OF A __ JK)

Upvote 0
Maybe getting you a bottle of Patron, to calm the nerves would suffice???:eek:

Mmmmm, Reposado. Es la bomba!

But it's cool, no worries.

Since I am an Eris rooter, I do feel duty bound to tell you - an overclocked (rooted) Eris will be almost as fast as the Incredible - and you'd have enough money saved for a couple of bottles for each of us. :)

eu1

Upvote 0
HEY ERIS USER 1 Im BACK!!!!!

I guess I was successful at everything you helped me with but unfortunately im back to square one
.........i thought it went through and it gave the same errors again!!!! this time everything was working and at the very end....i got a 'CANNOT LOAD' error again

i did the DIR recovery.img and it found it and opened it....i did the Fastboot Devices and it found the device and yet it still cant load the recovery image..

Any suggestions Im stumped...AGAIN!

Upvote 0
Honestly, I'm having an extremely hard time parsing what you are saying.

Any suggestions Im stumped...AGAIN!

I've told you twice: the error message that you are seeing has nothing at all to do with your phone - the program "fastboot.exe" on your PC is either:

(1) not finding the file -or-
(2) not able to read the file.

That's what it means when it says "can't load file".

The first cause (1) - not finding the file - would be because you are either spelling the file name wrong in the command, or it is simply not present in the same folder (directory) where you are running the fastboot command. (That folder name is shown in the command prompt)

The second cause (2) would be something more subtle, such as the file being present in the current folder but not readable because it was locked or created by another user. Possible, but a little unlikely if you are the only person that uses your computer.

You could try copying the files into a newly created folder on your hard drive, for instance, C:\Temp

and then when you run the fastboot commands, give the full path name to each of the files, as in

fastboot flash recovery C:\Temp\recovery.img
fastboot flash hboot C:\Temp\hboot.nb0

Doing this proves that you can copy the files using other programs (they are not read-restricted or locked somehow), and also that you haven't made a simple mistake of assuming that they are in the current folder when they are (in fact) not.

If you want to be completely explicit, you can also use the full name to the "fastboot" program, too, as in:

C:\Android\Android-sdk-Windows\tools\fastboot flash recovery C:\Temp\recovery.img

That allows you to change directories (using the "CD" command) to whatever folder you put the recovery.img and hboot.nb0 file in, as in:

C:\Foo\Bar> CD \Temp
C:\Temp> C:\Android\android-sdk-windows\tools\fastboot flash recovery .\recovery.img
(success/failure messages here)
C:\Temp> C::\Android\android-sdk-windows\tools\fastboot flash hboot .\hboot.nb0

That's it; I'm simply tapped out. I can't help any longer. To be honest, I suspect you are making a simple mistake, and just are not seeing it. Perhaps if you cut-and-paste the commands you are typing along with the messages that the programs output, we might spot it - but so far, you haven't done that.

Maybe somebody else will pick up the ball.

eu1

Upvote 0
i am trying to unroot my droid eris but when i hole the Power button and the send button it loads PB00IMG so i cant get to amon's recovery image can someone pla help me out or tell wht i am doing wrong

Rename the PB00IMG.ZIP file to something else, for instance root-PB00IMG.ZIP

or

Start the phone with Vol-Up+End to go straight to recovery. (Note that if you (recently) let that PB00IMG.ZIP install run to completion, Amon_RA recovery is no longer there, and you will need to put it back in place, as if you were rooting).

That's a start. There's more than one way to unroot, but you really gave us no clue what method you are attempting.

eu1

Upvote 0
when i press up to go into recovery i get a droid guy and a triangle with an exclamation mark

What you are seeing there is the stock recovery splash screen.

As I mentioned in my post above, if you previously had installed Amon_RA's v 1.6.2 recovery, but then later ran a PB00IMG.ZIP update, the Amon_RA recovery would have gotten overwritten (by the "stock" recovery in the PB00IMG.ZIP file.)

The thread you are looking for is a sticky post by Acidbath up near the top of the lists of posts.

Before you can do that, you need to re-complete the rooting process by getting Amon_RA back on your phone, by using whatever procedure you used the first time you rooted.

eu1

Upvote 0

LOL LOL! I been reading this thread so I can anticipate making errors as I learn more about the rooting processes etc...

congrats to both of you! and I guess I will push my thanks button for you erisuser!... lol lol... :D

good luck to all of yas!...

PS. As for me, I have a Moment that I've just rooted a couple of days ago, I am still trying to learn what the hell I am doing! lol...
But... I AM doing it! dang it! Of course with the help of people like you here...
So... Thank you...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones