• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help problems with EVO 4g

o.k...so do I understand this correctly Scotty?

-unlock bootloader---via the HTCDev website
-install recovery--via PC36IMG method or fastboot method <<<----probably easier
-flash superuser via recovery-- easy.

Then do method 2?

Basically rooting, then unrooting, then ruu.

By the way, THANKS for hopping in here guys!!!

you are correct there mikey.....in order to use one of the earlier ruu's we need to gain root first, downgrade the hboot, and then use one of the ruu's.....unfortunately.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Bootloader is unlocked... Step 14 in the instructions (on HTCdev site) state I should re-lock the bootloader (HTCdev - Please Log In) should I do that, or leave it unlocked?
I can't see that step as I am not unlocking my bootloader.....it's been quite a while since I did that. But I would leave it unlocked.
Does it say why?

Reactions: calail and scotty85
Upvote 0
I can't see that step as I am not unlocking my bootloader.....it's been quite a while since I did that. But I would leave it unlocked.
Does it say why?
HTCdev said:
This will not restore the factory default lock, but will simply re-lock the bootloader so no further changes can be made.

Upvote 0
well congrats on getting unlocked....sorry been out working like a maniac:(

anyways.....since you have recovery and unlocked.....i would suggest that you just flash a rom.....my suggestion would be mikg3.11 because it is waaaaaaay better then stock IMO.

but the decision would be up to you. having recovery is a great tool to have on a phone. it provides many ways to trouble shoot should something go wrong. and remember that as long as you have recovery you can get out of most any situations.

but the ultimate decision is up to you........read the second post of the guide for more info on the rooting world.

you can also get mikg3.11 here:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/618281-list-utilities-apps-roms-kernels-og-evo.html

the second post also has more info on roms and such as well.

and here is some more reading:
http://androidforums.com/faqs/443432-what-root-being-rooted-mean.html
http://androidforums.com/faqs/443075-root-terminology.html
http://androidforums.com/faqs/450904-rooting-best-practices.html

hope that helps to make your decision easier.

Upvote 0
OH NICE!!
Now, I'm just wondering here, if it wouldn't behoove you to flash a stock, rooted rom instead of unrooting blah blah blah.......:hmmmm: thinking :)

It just depends on what is causing the phones issues. If there is something wrong with the kernel or rom,then flashing a Rom certainly would fix it. Certainly no harm in trying it if you want. :)

With other devices,the recovery on an htcdev unlocked device cannot install the kernel,so if this is the case here,don't forget to fastboot flash the boot image.

The reason we were shooting for being able to run an ruu is the fact that it will flash all partitions,so if the prollem is elsewhere,the ruu hopefully fixes it. With older devices like this,the main version is the only factor that keeps us from running an older ruu when one doesn't exist(ie HTC hasn't released one)

What were doing with the "unroot" directions is simply changing this main version. So its not so much that were unrooting,we are just modifying the phone so it will allow us to run the ruu.

Go ahead and try a Rom flash. You can try a stockish Rom,and you can try a cm7 Rom,wich will have a much smaller footprint in the phones memory. If neither fix the issue,well just want to put a stock Rom back on the phone and continue with the directions to change the main version. :)

Upvote 0
in my original post, I mentioned that this phone is on "loan" from a friend.... while I don't think they'll ever want it back, I should probably apply a ROM that seems similar to what we're familiar with... honestly, however, I don't know if that's MIKG or stock or something else LOL

I will probably lock the phone back when we're all done... my husband knows even less than I do about techie stuff, and I wouldn't want him to kill the phone by accident...

So, I'm game for mikg.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Then I would stick with either MikG3.11 or here is another link to a stock, rooted rom:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1671395 --download links in post 2

Current Release
5.07.651.6 Stock Rooted - Odex | Mirror
5.07.651.6 Stock Rooted - Deodexed | Mirror
Use either one, Odex or Deodexed in your case. :)

There were instructions on how to flash the rom in the guide we were using, but if you need help, we are here :)

Upvote 0
I will probably lock the phone back when we're all done... my husband knows even less than I do about techie stuff, and I wouldn't want him to kill the phone by accident...
unfortunately,you may not be able to relock the bootloader unless you run an ruu and get back to 100% stock. if the phone is running a custom recovery,or a modified boot,or system,then youll be faced with a security warning and an unuseable phone when you relock it :eek:

rest assured,that an s on unlocked phone is not very vulnerable. its not likely your husband could accidentely "kill" it in a way we couldnt fix :)

Upvote 0
Then I would stick with either MikG3.11 or here is another link to a stock, rooted rom:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1671395 --download links in post 2

Use either one, Odex or Deodexed in your case. :)

There were instructions on how to flash the rom in the guide we were using, but if you need help, we are here :)

Well, I've got both downloads for Mikg3.11 and the Odex version of the stock. But, i'm a bit stuck... not sure which I should use... I just don't know enough about rooting and why I would want one ROM over the other. It's all a bit confusing to me.

Upvote 0
I'll flash the Mikg ROM. So, I've got the Superswipe and the MikG files saved to a 2G microchip. Walking through the steps, I'm a bit confused about #3 (go into recovery)... not sure I know how to get there... and #4 (make a nandroid backup)... Now I'm really sounding stupid. Do I just need more coffee!?

1.first you need the vr superwipe (this is not a rom. this is a file that wipes your sytem partitions and also wipes all the temp files as well:ZZZVR_SUPERWIPE.zip. download it and put it on your card. (optional)*
2.download the rom (i recommend MikG v3.11 [3/9/2012]) of your choice and transfer it to your card.
3.go into recovery
4.make a nandroid backup
5.select wipe from the main menu and wipe dalvik cache, cache, and data
6.select flash zip from sdcard
7.find the superwipe file and select it.(optional)
8.find your rom and select it.
9.reboot.

Upvote 0
I'll flash the Mikg ROM. So, I've got the Superswipe and the MikG files saved to a 2G microchip. Walking through the steps, I'm a bit confused about #3 (go into recovery)... not sure I know how to get there... and #4 (make a nandroid backup)... Now I'm really sounding stupid. Do I just need more coffee!?
duh! ok. Phone is on, I select recovery - so do I just choose Backup/Restore? in the recovery menu?

Upvote 0

1.first you need the vr superwipe (this is not a rom. this is a file that wipes your sytem partitions and also wipes all the temp files as well:ZZZVR_SUPERWIPE.zip. download it and put it on your card. (optional)*
2.download the rom (i recommend MikG v3.11 [3/9/2012]) of your choice and transfer it to your card.
3.go into recovery
4.make a nandroid backup
5.select wipe from the main menu and wipe dalvik cache, cache, and data
6.select flash zip from sdcard
7.find the superwipe file and select it.(optional)
8.find your rom and select it.
9.reboot.

#3 just means to get to recovery in any way possible. an easy way is from powered off,enter hboot,then select recovery. some custom roms have a power menu that will let you reboot to recovery,and there are also apps in the market that allow you to reboot to the bootloader or recovery by selecting that option in the app.

#4 is just making a backup. there should be a "backup and restore" menu option when you get to recovery. different devices and recoveries have slightly different menus,so hopefully that part will be a lil more obvious when you get there and can read the recovery menus :)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones