• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Problems with Fission Nandroid

SimsDelt

Android Expert
Aug 4, 2010
Bremen, Georgia
So I decided to go back to .340 after reading a lot of the lockdowns coming out of GB. I used maderstcock and it error'd on me. So I pulled out the handy dandy SBF I had, and it was the .320 one, so I had to flash it and then the .340 system only. Needless to say I got it back working on .340. So then I rooted and installed Bootstrap. Went into recovery and flashed my Fission 261 nandroid I had. I rebooted and went into a boot loop. Crap. So back into recovery, formatted data/cache. Boot as normal but now I have to restore everything. Great, restored using Titanium. Reboot after restore of apps/data from TB went great. Then I decided to go into market and get my Droid Overclock. Set it up and it was working. Rebooted.... and boom, boot loop (just kept looping the M). So then I went back into recovery, formatted data/cache and rebooted. Booted fine, went into fission rom manager and got "Overclock" add-on. Installed and upon reboot, again same bootloop. Finally I just got super frustrated and just flashed Apex 1.4.1 and set everything up and it worked fine.

Long story short, I don't know why the overclock things were causing problems? I would really like to restore that nandroid but it just won't work... anyone else have a theory or help? I'm super experienced in these things and never have as many problems as I did today. On top of this all, I was using my wife's laptop for all this because mine died on Friday and my CD ROM was bad and I finally got windows loaded back via a USB install today. Ugh....

Sorry for the word vomit on the screen, just wanted to give a correct description of what went on.

It sounds like the overclock settings you were restoring were incompatible with your kernel. I found when I used the .320 full SBF and then .340 system SBF that I did not have the latest kernel when I was done - I am not sure why.

I found this out when I had done the .320 full + .340 system, and then saw this thread:

http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...340-kernel-radio-image-bootloader-system.html

I ended up using the kernel updater and then I was on the most recent kernel version.

The overclock module is finicky - I believe (if I remember correctly) that it's rewriting the memory segments where the kernel stores the clock values. We have to do it this way because we can't change the kernel itself. Thus, if the kernel stores the values elsewhere in the memory, you're going to overwrite the wrong parts of the memory and cause system problems.

Reactions: SimsDelt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones