• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Problems with Power Button or Turning On the Evo

flukeSG2

May 29, 2010
Illinois
www.animecanvas.net
I'm wondering if anyone else has problems getting the phone to turn back on after turning it off. I know the power button works because I use it to shut the screen on and off, and I also use it to power down the phone and it seems to work just fine. However, when I want to turn the phone back on, it takes several minutes to get the button to finally work.

Yes. Everyone new had to learn same last month.

MUST wait 15 - 20 seconds before turning back on. Phone still shutting down after screen off.

Wait, will work every time.

Guess, I just don't shut my phone off that much, I've had it since release. Also I have to wait more than 15 - 20 seconds, it's around 1 minute.

Upvote 0
Just tested mine.... after I shut it off, I only have to wait 5 seconds. This is counting from the time the screen shut off as well. As SOON as my screen shut off, I held down the power button, and.... well it didn't take long at all. I have yet to return my Evo in exchange for another for any major problems yet. (Yes, my screen is separating, it's one of the first re-lease day batches. I'm holding onto it until I know there's a lot in stock and after I know the waiting list has gotten smaller here in town.)

Upvote 0
Mine had the same issue. Anytime I would turn it off, no matter how long I waited to turn it back on (waited an hour once just to see) I would end up having to pull the battery and replace it in order to get it working again. I took it to the Sprint store and they did a hard reset on it. Now I can turn it back on within 10 seconds of turning it off, no problems. The tech at Sprint suspected it was due to the Lookout app on the phone. He removed it. So i don't know if he was right or not, but I haven't reinstalled Lookout.

Upvote 0
Thank god you removed lookout... you don't need anti-virus on your phone yet, not until Android starts to become a standard as a mobile platform, like Windows Mobile was/is. For now, don't use it, just as well as task killers. It's a good idea to HAVE one on hand, say if you have a rogue app chewing through your battery because it's locked at 100% CPU or something, but DON'T use it. I don't use one ever, (again, unless I notice my battery chunk-tanking on me) and I get a good full day of heavy useage. I stream music all day at work, sending lots of text messages, yada yada.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones