• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problems with wi-fi, mail and sounds.

sparc

Lurker
Feb 1, 2011
Android Version: 2.2
Network: Vodafone UK
Taskiller Used?: No
[Optional]Are You rooted & which Rom: Not rooted, stock Desire Vodafone UK ROM
Issue:

I have an HTC Desire on Vodafone UK running Android 2.2. I've noticed that the wi-fi seems to stop connecting to networks. I have a number of wifi networks "remembered" on the device and quite often notice when I know I'm in range of one (for example at home) it doesn't connect to my network at home. In the settings page it seems that the wifi is still switched on but disconnected. No wifi networks appear to be in range but I can still see the list of remembered ones. Hitting the menu button and clicking on "scan" does nothing at all.

The only way to get this working again is to switch the wifi off and back on again, then it scans, shows the list of networks in range then finds my home network and connects fine. This happens with any wifi network I have configured on the device. The wifi sleep policy is set to "never" but setting it to "never when plugged in" doesn't appear to make any difference.

Also, sometimes when I receive a text or email the device does not play the alert tone set for this event, even when it is not set to silent or vibrate only. It does vibrate, however. Occasionally it has failed to play the incoming call ring tone or the alarm clock tone also.

I also have some problems with email. The normal mail client app (i.e. not the Gmail one) sometimes seems to forget settings like send and receive frequency when the phone has been switched off and on again. This usually happens when the battery has run out completely and the phone has shut itself down.

Finally, when using the standard email client, if I'd downloaded some emails from the server (I don't allow the phone to delete messages on the server by the way), then use another app (for example, Mozilla Thunderbird) and delete messages from the server using that, the phone used to delete locally stored messages it didn't find on the server the next time it connected. This no longer happens; messages downloaded to the phone stay there until manually deleted. Is this something that has been removed in some Android update?

The above is a copy and paste of what I sent to HTC some weeks ago and have had no real help. They only suggested that I try a factory reset, which solved none of my problems at all so I'm hoping someone here can help!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones