• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Prom dress code

zuben el genub

Extreme Android User
Jan 24, 2011
Understanding What Ladies May Not Wear to Prom | The Awl

And just what the hell is wrong with blue jeans and Tshirt? No bare midriff or sagging. Save a whole lot of money.

As for why not dressing up:

I had to get under my sports car in a short skirt to fix the muffler. (Bracket broke) This is on an interstate during rush hour. No one really knew much about English cars. I had one guy try to help with a flat and couldn't figure out knock off wire wheels. He kept asking about lug nuts.

I only went to my Senior prom and being the "non establishment" type, pretty much hated it. The after party at a friends house was fun though since there was plenty of booze involved.
Now, I only dance at weddings and really enjoy it. I loved our wedding, we had a great time. But, I can understand how at that age group, a little bit of restraint can be a good thing.

Upvote 0
Reactions: NYCHitman1
Upvote 0
And just what the hell is wrong with blue jeans and Tshirt? No bare midriff or sagging. Save a whole lot of money.

If that's the case, then it's like any other party and nothing special. Prom = special. You waited 4 years to go to Prom.

In Toronto, there's a charity called the Corsage Project that help underprivilege young women that can't afford to buy a prom dress get one.

Reactions: breadnatty08
Upvote 0
If that's the case, then it's like any other party and nothing special. Prom = special. You waited 4 years to go to Prom.

In Toronto, there's a charity called the Corsage Project that help underprivilege young women that can't afford to buy a prom dress get one.

That's a great project. And I fully agree that some celebrations/parties should be a time to dress up. If I could wear shorts and sandals to work I would, but I have to wear pants and close toed shoes. I'm no fan of dressing up but it's nice to do it sometimes. We made sure our guests for our wedding knew it was a pretty casual affair and I think everyone was much more relaxed.

Upvote 0
That's a great project. And I fully agree that some celebrations/parties should be a time to dress up. If I could wear shorts and sandals to work I would, but I have to wear pants and close toed shoes. I'm no fan of dressing up but it's nice to do it sometimes. We made sure our guests for our wedding knew it was a pretty casual affair and I think everyone was much more relaxed.

It can't be as bad as some Mainland Chinese weddings :< My friend got married to a guy that's from Mainland China and OMG...what they wore to the wedding was an embarrassment. Some of the men wore jeans and the white under shirts that I counted a couple of holes in and flip flops. The wedding was in Canada. So imagine how shock I was when I saw the groom's relatives.

Upvote 0
One of our favorite guests was the partner of my wife's boss at our wedding. He wore this ridiculous pj shirt of sorts. His partner had a nice black suit on (one of the more over dressed). You can see him here blowing bubbles with all the kids. We had a great time!
IMG4364-M.jpg

Upvote 0
One of our favorite guests was the partner of my wife's boss at our wedding. He wore this ridiculous pj shirt of sorts. His partner had a nice black suit on (one of the more over dressed). You can see him here blowing bubbles with all the kids. We had a great time!
IMG4364-M.jpg

awww :( My work blocked your image :/ That's a huge contrast between the couple.

Upvote 0
awww :( My work blocked your image :/ That's a huge contrast between the couple.

Definitely check it out when you get home.
Yeah, we actually had a happy hour with the two (among the rest of my wife's office staff) a couple weeks ago. He's a riot. Recently retired and wants to move to Italy.
While I bought a suit (first time ever :eek:) for my wedding, we wanted everyone to be as laid back and comfortable as possible. Wife's dress was gorgeous but nothing over the top.

To get back on topic, the only prom I went to, I believe I just had a shirt, khakis and a tie, no jacket. Date had nothing extravagant (though, I'd cautiously label her as a "prude"). I think that dates should dress up to wherever their comfort level is: suit, shirt and tie, tux; puffy dress, short dress, strapless whatever. But, I still think it should be tasteful. Just my .02.

Upvote 0
Definitely check it out when you get home.
Yeah, we actually had a happy hour with the two (among the rest of my wife's office staff) a couple weeks ago. He's a riot. Recently retired and wants to move to Italy.
While I bought a suit (first time ever :eek:) for my wedding, we wanted everyone to be as laid back and comfortable as possible. Wife's dress was gorgeous but nothing over the top.

To get back on topic, the only prom I went to, I believe I just had a shirt, khakis and a tie, no jacket. Date had nothing extravagant (though, I'd cautiously label her as a "prude"). I think that dates should dress up to wherever their comfort level is: suit, shirt and tie, tux; puffy dress, short dress, strapless whatever. But, I still think it should be tasteful. Just my .02.

If you asked your guests to dress casual it's fine...otherwise, there's a bit of an expectation to dress up a bit to a wedding.

Upvote 0
If you asked your guests to dress casual it's fine...otherwise, there's a bit of an expectation to dress up a bit to a wedding.

Yeah, I know a lot of guests were asking us what to wear. It can be difficult because so many preconceptions of weddings are to wear your very best. For my aunt's second wedding, it was a SUPER chill affair and they encouraged everyone to wear something really low key. One of my other relatives just couldn't comprehend that a wedding could be a casual event :rolleyes:. Oh well; can't please everyone.

Upvote 0
It can't be as bad as some Mainland Chinese weddings

belly.jpg
The "best" man.

My friend got married to a guy that's from Mainland China and OMG...what they wore to the wedding was an embarrassment. Some of the men wore jeans and the white under shirts that I counted a couple of holes in and flip flops. The wedding was in Canada. So imagine how shock I was when I saw the groom's relatives.

...you soon get used to it though. :cool: I've been to four mainland Chinese weddings so far.

Upvote 0
IMG4364-M.jpg

Who is the cutie in the yellow/green/grey dress :fisheye:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones