• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ps2 Emulator for Android

lol at the "new user can't post links" I've been a member for over a year just not active. Think the post count is off too, don't think I would have registered without posting at least 1 link.

Anyways, is there a PS2 emulator for Android yet? I heard you can play PS2 games on Nexus 7 but the closest thing I've found so far is actually running the emulator on a PC then using Splashtop to remotely control the PC.

Upvote 0
Im not a very android savy person myself im a first time smart phone user but i know my fair share about c and what i would love to know is why i can go on piratebay and download a 54.3mb file which holds grand theft auto vice city and i just create a game folder and add it too my phone and when i click ob the icon on my phone it instaled all the data and now i have a fully working version of gta3 on my phone but then after that i download a emulator and try to play zelda ocirana of time but it lagz like a mother ****** ....Y is that......P.S im drunk and lazy any spelling errors deal wit it U KNOW WUT I MEAN;)

Upvote 0
Im not a very android savy person myself im a first time smart phone user but i know my fair share about c and what i would love to know is why i can go on piratebay and download a 54.3mb file which holds grand theft auto vice city and i just create a game folder and add it too my phone and when i click ob the icon on my phone it instaled all the data and now i have a fully working version of gta3 on my phone but then after that i download a emulator and try to play zelda ocirana of time but it lagz like a mother ****** ....Y is that......P.S im drunk and lazy any spelling errors deal wit it U KNOW WUT I MEAN;)

Well what device do you have? It solely depends on the device, some devices can handle an emulator good and some can't even though it can run a high powered game good.

It also depends on the emulator settings too

Upvote 0
Er? Current PCs can far, far exceed PS2 games' performance. The Xperia Play exceeds it's performance. The PS2 was 300Mhz with 32MB RAM, granted these can't be directly compared but my 1Ghz 576MB RAM HTC Desire is much faster.

If you're thinking of PS3 games then PCs are tested a lot more but still exceed it. Poorly ported games can suffer performance problems but they are trying to do more than just run a direct copy. For example, I'd run them at 1900x1200 whereas the PS3 runs at 1280x720 or less (even if it claims to be 1080p, it's usually 720p at most).

I think there were emulators, but Sony lawyered them away so their PlayStation certified thing wouldn't have competition. I'm not sure how/where you get the actual games anyway.

If the PS2 is only running at 300MHz with 32MB of RAM and most Android phones even ones from 1-2 years back running are at like 4x those specs, than why cant we emulate the PS2.

Upvote 0
If the PS2 is only running at 300MHz with 32MB of RAM and most Android phones even ones from 1-2 years back running are at like 4x those specs, than why cant we emulate the PS2.

It's not just a question of number of MHz or amount of RAM. One has to emulate a completely different CPU and GPU using software, and that can have a very large processing overhead. In the case of the PS2, it's the "Emotion Engine" that has to be emulated in software. Which is basically MIPS, plus a lot of other things as well. Most Android devices have ARM CPUs.

A modern mid-range PC should be able to handle this no problem. However Android devices given what they are, that is low-powered mobile devices, in reality only actually have the CPU and GPU capabilities of something like a cheap PC netbook.

Another thing with PS1 and PS2 emulators, is many of them don't include Sony's copyrighted Playstation BIOS ROMs for legal reasons. And the one's that do are illegal.

Upvote 0
I believe its closer to 3x-4x the performance to emulate a system.

ill go with the 10x-20x amount heck in some cases 50x+
n64 wasnt until recently done properly. Only took 10 years of advance technology.
Ps1 is just 33mhz and 2mb of VRAM and RAM. wasnt until systems reach dual core and about a gig of RAM till PCs or tablets could play them.
(Give or take a few specs off, but some PS emulators basically needed past 100x the specs of a PS1).

Hence why you should never compare console and PC specs. It all lies in the coding. If PS4 has modern day PC hardware..... ya its going to be an amazing strong device for the next few years.

Upvote 0
PCSX 2 for PC (playstation 2 emulator) recommended specs:
Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32bit or 64bit) with the latest DirectX
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.2 GHz or better OR i3/i5/i7 @ 2,8 GHz or better OR AMD Phenom II @ 3,2 GHz or better
GPU: 8800gt or better (for Direct3D10 support)
RAM: 1GB on Linux/Windows XP, 2GB or more on Vista / Windows 7

Not even the most powerful Android device can go anywhere near those specs. A quad core A9 chip (same as the one on the international S3) is about as powerful as a dual core A15 chip (same as the one on US S3). Then take into account that those things are about as powerful as an Intel Atom processor FROM 2010-2011 generation. No, PS2 emulation is about impossible on today's cellphone hardware.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones