• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Purpose of star in Email program?

Midiman

Jan 1, 2012
Upstate, NY
There's a star (like the favorites marker in Contacts) in the Email program. What's its purpose? I have several emails in the program that I DO NOT WANT automatically deleted after a month. They are necessary evidence that I would prefer to not have to print and carry around with me.

I found the standard documentation on Samsung's site very minimal when it comes to explaining all the intricacies of the built in software.

I'd love to find a "lock" option or Delete: Never setting. I might have to carry this stuff around for a month minimum or perhaps two or three.

I was using only the Gmail app, but Ed pointed out the email app allows organization by folders which I really need. I set it up and it's working fine. Any downside to using both at the same time?

The star is just a visible indicator you can use for whatever purpose you want. It's probably most used so that you can easily find messages that are significant to you in some way when they're stored in folders with dozens or hundreds of other messages. In the gmail app (and in the standard web interface) you can have it only show messages that have been starred.

Folders are useful, but they're actually less flexible than the labels that gmail supports. In gmail, any one message can have any number of labels -- meaning the message will be listed when you view messages associated with any of the labels. They can also simulate nested folders, so you can assign the label "first/second/third" to a message and it'll nest the way you expect.

I'm not aware of any lock or protect feature in gmail, but you could create an extra color-coded "LOCK" label that you assign to messages. It would be up to you to notice the label when deleting messages and skip anything w/that label.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones