• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Putting to rest the myths about Task Killers/RAM Optimizers and the like

Of all the apps which kill background apps, stop auto-starts, and empty caches, DU Speed Booster seems to be the best. Nice interface, works quickly, on repeat use during the same power up it documents improvement, and other apps rarely find issues after just one run of DUSB. However, Battery Doctor (or some other app) put up a flag indicating that DU Speed Booster (DUSB) has used 50% of the power in the antecedent hour. So is DUSB not worth using ? Did it only consume such power during the "cleaning" ?

You don't need extra apps just knowledge about your phone it's app flaws that add up that really gets my nerves

Reactions: The-Truth
Upvote 0
DU is snakeoil sister! lol. I admit I thought "Battery Savers/Task killers were the way to go myself once upon a time. The truth is alot of people install crap apps off playstore etc. based upon high ratings. Apks like DU for instance. The truth is Android takes care of itself and " batt savers & speed boosting, Task killing apks etc. do more to kill you're battery life or "clear out junk" than save you precious batt life and save you any space/RAM. Actually just by one running/thinking they need to run these type of apks so often. The best way to save any battery life or stop/clear any apks from running in the background with an apk would be apks like Greenify which you need to have root for but that's another topic entirely. But there are ALOT of knowledgeable individuals within A.F. who have tons of the proper information on Task killers and battery savers etc.

Watch out guys... .you're talking about an androidforums sponsor!View attachment 98014
Lol

**Mod Note**:
What started out as a discussion for DU Speed Booster (available in the PlayStore) evolved into a very informative discussion about Task Killers, Ram discussion, killing apps and the like.
As a result, the thread is now stuck here, as this is a very good thread about them ;)
So in a roundabout way, thanks to @AppleUser for starting this thread :)
We also have another thread about Android Task killers here (a few years old, but still excellent nonetheless).
Also, some shortcuts to helpful posts in this thread:
http://androidforums.com/threads/pu...-optimizers-and-the-like.896663/#post-6858083
http://androidforums.com/threads/pu...-optimizers-and-the-like.896663/#post-6859379
http://androidforums.com/threads/pu...izers-and-the-like.896663/page-2#post-6860024

Of all the apps which kill background apps, stop auto-starts, and empty caches, DU Speed Booster seems to be the best. Nice interface, works quickly, on repeat use during the same power up it documents improvement, and other apps rarely find issues after just one run of DUSB. However, Battery Doctor (or some other app) put up a flag indicating that DU Speed Booster (DUSB) has used 50% of the power in the antecedent hour. So is DUSB not worth using ? Did it only consume such power during the "cleaning" ?
Lol ya I once thought so too.

Right on Crash, right on, live & learn bro!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
DU Speed Booster
He lied to the application and bad

Attachments

• تنزيل.jpg
    تنزيل.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 144
Upvote 0
Is gs taskmanager junk?
Any Task Manager is junk really. Greenify is about as close to an actual way to preserve battery life by way of an apk & by freezing background running apks. I know I'm a lil late on the post & info here but figured I'd throw that out there.

~~~

DU Speed Booster
He lied to the application and bad
Who lied bro? DU apk dev's or?

~~~

Is gs taskmanager junk?
Or battery stats plus is ok [emoji41] Move apk to (system/priv)

~~~

Is gs taskmanager junk?
All task managers are junk, norb. Lol [emoji41]

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I just stopped using RAM booster apps and task killer apps. They may sound incredibly useful but I think they could actually be harming your phone instead. I find them unnecessary, and counterproductive.
Most certainly, "ram boosters/task killers" are counter productive. Android takes care of itself. Android devs wouldn't build a ROM stock or custom which would require a 3rd party app to kill apps etc. Greenify is probably the best route one can go as far as an actual battery saving tactic. Task managers/ram boosters make you're phone "sick" if you will. and cause more drain than prolonging it. These type of apps promise a lot and don't deliver and are downloaded and used by those who don't research the subject and use apps with high ratings. ratings given by those who don't know any better. (Snakeoil) are what these type of apps are. Hope that enlightens anybody who is actually willing to read on what they don't already know about Ram boosters/Battery savers/& Task managers alike! [emoji6]

Upvote 0
HTC diagrees, they're baking in Boost+ on my new HTC 10. I guess the myth is waking back up. ;)
Whats that you're HTC has a task killer or ram booster type apk baked in the custom ROM you are using or you're on a stock ROM sounds like with an apk like that? Just trying to get a better idea on what you mean exactly bro. [emoji41]

Upvote 0
Whats that you're HTC has a task killer or ram booster type apk baked in the custom ROM you are using or you're on a stock ROM sounds like with an apk like that? Just trying to get a better idea on what you mean exactly bro. [emoji41]
Did a lil research on boost+ I see what it is suppose to be now. Can't say I'm convinced of its claims though lol. But hey to each his own. Use what ya like I guess. [emoji16]

Upvote 0
I didn't say I like it. I was just putting it out there to keep the discussion going. I won't know if it does anything until I actually get it. Can't say I have high hopes for it but what can you do? OEMs be OEMs. ;)
Ahhhh I read ya bro I read Ya. Didn't say you liked it etc. Ya I was wondering. Got cha now. [emoji41] And didn't mean to point you're level of "android understanding" twords those who just truly don't know any better [emoji3] & ya those apks are built for those who don't know cause they don't read indeed. [emoji12]

Upvote 0
Some of u may think :
If i have more free ram my device will be faster...

Think about Force closing an application that has an auto start feature (like Facebook) the application will start again in some sec. and your phone will eat more than double of ram (and power ofc) than leaving it running as a background process. if u have 8 apps opened and u have an example:
Overall RAM :1GB free RAM: 100MB
Task Killer : kills 7 of the apps - 600 MB freed up memory -> causes the auto-starting apps to start working again, while opening them all at once your phone can eat up to 580MB of memory then your android system task killer takes place killing maybe your keyboard maybe something else like your system UI. Battery on this part : auto-starting apps can drain your battery very fast. Your task killer will repeat these steps everytime.

If u have like 2GB of RAM it wont affect the system task killer (probably) but it still causes apps to autostart again draining battery.

Now the example for using only the manual task killer and the system task killer :
Overall RAM :1GB free RAM: 100MB
We begin with a Stable 100MB of free RAM and we are in Mortal Kombat app, we use the manual task killing to close all apps and what happens ? Facebook will keep running as a background process and every other service with auto-start will drain only the needed part of power and memory from your phone. Phone keeps stable and fast (until you are on a stable rom and your phone can keep up with your rom [in my opinion the devices with 1GB of RAM shouldn´t get the update for 4.4 Kitkat])

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm sorry if this has already been addressed in this conversation. I didn't want to read through 415 posts as I have already read so much about tm"s.
I've asked this question a couple of times in the S6edge forum but can't seem to get any response:
What about "purify", made by xda, King (purify is part of Kingroot, which isn't available for my phone yet. But there are some tasks purify accomplishes w/o root)?
I think it's doing some good, but can't be sure.
Thank you.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry if this has already been addressed in this conversation. I didn't want to read through 415 posts as I have already read so much about tm"s.
I've asked this question a couple of times in the S6edge forum but can't seem to get any response:
What about "purify", made by xda, King (purify is part of Kingroot, which isn't available for my phone yet. But there are some tasks purify accomplishes w/o root)?
I think it's doing some good, but can't be sure.
Thank you.
My honest opinion I think its snakeoil. I've rooted countless devices. ran purify with and without kingroot now that purify is a stand alone app aswell. & my guess is if you can't knowtice one lil tid bit of difference than why bother with what doesn't seam to do Jack. But to each his own, & hey do what you like. Maybe I'm wrong. But I doubt it on this one. Got to mindful of the fancy pants app with blinking lights and colors that do just that, light up & blink. And read things like cool you're all set and junk is cleaned etc. I take my own "trash" out if you will and do it better than purify.

Reactions: sleedeane
Upvote 0
My honest opinion I think its snakeoil. I've rooted countless devices. ran purify with and without kingroot now that purify is a stand alone app aswell. & my guess is if you can't knowtice one lil tid bit of difference than why bother with what doesn't seam to do Jack. But to each his own, & hey do what you like. Maybe I'm wrong. But I doubt it on this one. Got to mindful of the fancy pants app with blinking lights and colors that do just that, light up & blink. And read things like cool you're all set and junk is cleaned etc. I take my own "trash" out if you will and do it better than purify.

Thank you for the very quick response.

Upvote 0
Oh you're way good bro. Are you a root user?

Iv"e rooted every phone I've ever had... 10 or 12 over the last nine years. LG, HTC, and several Samsungs with all great success.
But they don't quite have a root for this one yet. I've been waiting for over a year now.
My 13 digit build # is off by 5 digits from being supported.
Not even pingpong or kr will take.,thanks to att (& Verizon) putting bootlockers on these phones, making xda"s job a little bit tougher.
Thank you muchly.

Upvote 0
Iv"e rooted every phone I've ever had... 10 or 12 over the last nine years. LG, HTC, and several Samsungs with all great success.
But they don't quite have a root for this one yet. My 13 digit build # is off by 5 digits from being supported.
Not even pingpong or kr will take.,thanks to att (& Verizon) putting bootlockers on these phones.
Thank you muchly.
Try kingo root. not king but Kingo. You must install kingo user apk off playstore and just leave it be then click root with kingo root utility apk 4.9.2 Should be at top of the page/first link. Won't hurt to try. And if you succeed after trying once or twice then you can install supersu right over top of kingo. just delete kingo "leftovers" with filemanager. Kingo is much easyer and safer to integrate supersu than king root ever thought of being. Hey its worth a shor /click lol.

Upvote 0
I've only been rooting and roming for about a year and a half maybe two. But I've gained ALOT of knowledge very fast and have pulled off quite a bit. Kingo is the best root tool out there bar-non. before Myself and kingo came along nobody had rooted the ZTE concord 2 but by PC. kingroot, towel root nothin but kingo would root that phone one click. Kingo is always worth a few trys. but VERY few knw to install kinguser first. that's all just DL kinguser don't touch then use 4.9.2 kingo root utility and you always have a good chance at rooting ANY phone any build with it (Not gauranteed) but very likely to root. Kingo is that good at what it does which is gain root and allow supersu to take over!

Upvote 0
I've only been rooting and roming for about a year and a half maybe two. But I've gained ALOT of knowledge very fast and have pulled off quite a bit. Kingo is the best root tool out there bar-non. before Myself and kingo came along nobody had rooted the ZTE concord 2 but by PC. kingroot, towel root nothin but kingo would root that phone one click. Kingo is always worth a few trys. but VERY few knw to install kinguser first. that's all just DL kinguser don't touch then use 4.9.2 kingo root utility and you always have a good chance at rooting ANY phone any build with it (Not gauranteed) but very likely to root. Kingo is that good at what it does which is gain root and allow supersu to take over!

Really cool. I'll try that in a little bit after I get this thing on a charger and let you know.
Thank you very much

Upvote 0
Really cool. I'll try that in a little bit after I get this thing on a charger and let you know.
Thank you very much
Oh hell! no prob at all! let me knw how she went. remember kingouser DL/install no need to touch first. make sure you see its icon in apk drawer. than use kingo root apk. has a lock icon blue and white. there is a few versions try the latest of course which is 4.9.2 Goodluck my fingers are Crossed for you bro! give er more than one try. A lot of ppl complained concord 2 wouldn't root this way after only trying once. & most did not install kingouser first which seams to be a must. nt sure why just is lol! goodluck bro. plz let us all knw for community and such. Ty!

Upvote 0
Oh hell! no prob at all! let me knw how she went. remember kingouser DL/install no need to touch first. make sure you see its icon in apk drawer. than use kingo root apk. has a lock icon blue and white. there is a few versions try the latest of course which is 4.9.2 Goodluck my fingers are Crossed for you bro! give er more than one try. A lot of ppl complained concord 2 wouldn't root this way after only trying once. & most did not install kingouser first which seams to be a must. nt sure why just is lol! goodluck bro. plz let us all knw for community and such. Ty!

No such luck. For one, I'm 6.0, as of the other day. And 2, we're back to the damn locked bootloader thing again.
The advice I've been getting is to either switch carriers or switch devices.

uploadfromtaptalk1464636012224.jpg

But thank you so very kindly for your suggestion.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones