• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question about ROM upgrade

Lefthand

Sep 27, 2009
UK
Question from a noob! On the HTC website there's a ROM upgrade available to download, (2.73.405.5 Release Date: 2009-09-11). My Hero is brand new, out of the box, the build version is 1.76.110.6. The question is: what does the new ROM do, does it improve performance? Is it worth installing it? It also says that installing it will remove all data installed on the phone, does this mean it will remove all my contacts, apps etc? Also, the firmware verion on the phone is 1.5, is there an upgrade to this too? As I said I'm a bit of a newbie, so any help is much appreciated! I'm on T-Mobile UK btw.http://www.htc.com/uk/SupportDownloadList.aspx?p_id=283&act=sd&cat=2

Question from a noob! On the HTC website there's a ROM upgrade available to download, (2.73.405.5 Release Date: 2009-09-11). My Hero is brand new, out of the box, the build version is 1.76.110.6. The question is: what does the new ROM do, does it improve performance? Is it worth installing it? It also says that installing it will remove all data installed on the phone, does this mean it will remove all my contacts, apps etc? Also, the firmware verion on the phone is 1.5, is there an upgrade to this too? As I said I'm a bit of a newbie, so any help is much appreciated! I'm on T-Mobile UK btw.http://www.htc.com/uk/SupportDownloadList.aspx?p_id=283&act=sd&cat=2

The ROM upgrade is an essential upgrade, and does improve a number of things including performance. It also has essential bug fixes.

It will wipe all of your apps, phone contacts, configuration, APN, etc. You can preserve your apps easily with AppManager--backup.

IF you keep your contacts synchronized in Google, they will all come back when you enable Google Sync.

The firmware 1.5 is the Android OS version....still the current one. Version 1.6 is due to be released soon.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones