• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question for Australian Telstra users

uzetaab

Android Enthusiast
May 11, 2010
Brisbane Australia
So I just got my desire a few days ago & I'm pretty happy for the most part. I'm a little disappointed by the battery life & think that HTC should have given it a bigger battery, even if they had to make the phone a little bigger. The could have made the phone with a much higher capacity battery & still mate the phone much smaller than an iphone. But I digress.

My question is whether other people who have the telstra version of the phone have had the same experience as me with wifi & mobile data.

I don't play with my phone away from home much yet because I'm still waiting for the memory card that I ordered on ebay to arrive so I can put my audio on it. At home, when on wifi I have been downloading lots of apps & stuff.

The phone indicates that I am on wifi, but when I check my mobile data the next day, I've used something like 300mb in the last 12 hours. I can't believe that I've used that much data on stuff like status updates & can only assume that I've been billed for my data when I'm on my wifi. Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm on Telstra. I haven't noticed that problem myself. I've use 3G Watchdog to monitor my data. I think the phone is supposed to use wi-fi in preference to data if both are on but I can't remember where I read it. I'd suggest manually turning wi-fi on and mobile internet connection off, and that should ensure you don't get charged for it.

Upvote 0
Apparently telstra data plans don't kick in until the start of the billing cycle (19th of the month I think). So effectively you're on the base plan until then. The sms will report that you've used all your monthly allowance as if you were already on the plan, but you've actually only used the base allowance. I got this from a guy at Telstra customer service who had the same issue. I've switched off mobile data until my plan kicks in. check your bill when you get it, if you've been charged for exceeding your data allowance, ring them up & tell them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones