• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

question

• Thread starter Android Question
  • Start date
A tar is an archive, so the simplest would be to extract the contents on a computer and then copy the extracted files to the phone. I don't know how to do this on Windows, but on Linux or Mac OSX I'd use the command "tar -xf filename.tar" to extract the files from the archive. I expect there are many apps that can extract them on Windows, if it isn't built into the system.

Of course, whether that helps depends on what is in the archive, i.e. whether the files in there are things that Android can read.

As for jar, the only thing I've been able to find is a thread over in xda-developers about "jbed", a java runtime emulator. The thread is here. I don't know whether it will work on your device - it certainly doesn't work on all devices - and if you can't install the apk directly you will need to be rooted to use the fallback method they describe.

If you don't know what "rooted" means, the answer is here. If you are interested in that I suggest you visit the our forum for your device - that will have a sub-section "All Things Root" which will explain more.

Good luck, and I hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones