• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Questions about creating a custom rom

neversatisfied

Feb 8, 2010
I have no idea if any of this is possible, but I plan to make my own personal rom and I was wondering if there was some way I can test it out on my PC in a android emulator to see how it looks and what will all be wrong with it before I flash it to my phone. I know its possible to have a emulator on Windows 7, but that is only to try it. I would have no clue if I would be able to try my own rom with the android sdk.

This is only for safety measures considering this is my first time doing this sort of thing.

basically I am doing this right now Try Android 2.1 on Windows to see if I can somehow use a custom rom to view.

I am only doing this for myself due to the fact that I keep using roms that have some issues. The one I am using now is RegawMOD and I am experiencing lag and a lot of the times my phone won't receive text. Before this I was using one of Damageless roms and that was an issue because my phone would never download MMS. Also on my current rom my calls only ring twice then go to my voicemail extremely fast for some odd reason to where I have no time to get it outta my pocket and answer lol. Or it lags when I try to answer.

It would suck if I have to go back to 1.5 because there are way too many 2.1 bugs for our heroes. When i was stock, I had no issues that I can remember besides for battery life. If i have to go back to 1.5, then im just going to use Fresh Kitchen :p

But my main question is can I preview my rom on PC and fix all the errors there and make sure its stable before I flash it to my phone?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones