• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Questions about the W4G

yogem

Mar 16, 2012
Hi All,

So I rooted and using this phone out of Boost Mobile while in Mexico with Iusacell by reprogramming it... it works greatly! Now I got mad with Boost mobile as they don't want to UICC unlock the device (that I paid cash) and I will like to know if someone of you know if this device is a Global Device (Means that have both CDMA and GSM) or if it's just CDMA...

... and is anyone able to restore all the standard but hidden by sprint/boost network settings? I've been able to restore some but I am not able to restore the APN and Network Operator's ones.

... is anyone able to completely network unlock this device?

yogem,
According to the specs at: ZTE Warp 4G Specs, Features (Phone Scoop)
the W4G is not GSM capable, operating only in these bands:
LTE 1700 / 1900 / 1900
CDMA 800 / 850 / 1700 / 1900

cdz, there is actually a SIM port on this device.
My device, purchased from Boost, came preinstalled with a Sprint branded SIM (weird, I know).

APN and Network Operator are in the build.prop, but I do not recommend adjusting those entries until a complete backup has been made, MD5 verified, uploaded to your Android SDK-installed Windows machine, and copied one each to all of your available HDD. (can you tell I hate downtime?)

Upvote 0
yogem,
According to the specs at: ZTE Warp 4G Specs, Features (Phone Scoop)
the W4G is not GSM capable, operating only in these bands:
LTE 1700 / 1900 / 1900
CDMA 800 / 850 / 1700 / 1900

cdz, there is actually a SIM port on this device.
My device, purchased from Boost, came preinstalled with a Sprint branded SIM (weird, I know).

APN and Network Operator are in the build.prop, but I do not recommend adjusting those entries until a complete backup has been made, MD5 verified, uploaded to your Android SDK-installed Windows machine, and copied one each to all of your available HDD. (can you tell I hate downtime?)

Let me correct myself: There is no GSM SIM port. The sim port on the device is for LTE access.

Reactions: buildyourown
Upvote 0
Guys, thanks for the answers.. my fears are now real ehehehe...

I reprogrammed correctly the device, I got signal, I got 3G, some times 4G, I can send MSS, it works... the only problem is that the CDMA signal in Mexico simply sucks! I wanted to know if it was also GSM as I know that many devices with the option "UICC Unlock" are basically Global Devices that once unlocked they become GSM.

I think I will give up on it and going to buy a new device, possibly GSM and then once back in the states I will use the W4G again with Boost.

Thanks all!

Upvote 0
I have found a way I haven't gotten a sim card yet to try but msl utilities will work for your uicc card and this is for boost Mobile call Sprint and ask for it they can with a converter they use meid of the phone not imei as boost does msl/spc is CDMA only but they have the switch for uicc so if you have time try it

Upvote 0
I have found a way I haven't gotten a sim card yet to try but msl utilities will work for your uicc card and this is for boost Mobile call Sprint and ask for it they can with a converter they use meid of the phone not imei as boost does msl/spc is CDMA only but they have the switch for uicc so if you have time try it

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones