• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Questions

K-Rizzle

Android Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2009
I finally gave in and rooted again, I hadn't felt the need to since having my awful Samsung Moment, but I was getting sick of the bloatware opening on it's own. Took care of that with Titanium.

Anyway, I'm just keeping the stock ROM on there.

But I'm kind of confused, I do want to replace my battery icon with something that shows me numbers, and possibly replace my lock screen. Where can I find downloads for these that will work with stock? Seems like a lot of the tweaks are for this ROM or that ROM.

Also, I downloaded ROM toolbox, does this take the place of having to reboot into recovery to install zip files? Can I really just install this stuff from this app?

I finally gave in and rooted again, I hadn't felt the need to since having my awful Samsung Moment, but I was getting sick of the bloatware opening on it's own. Took care of that with Titanium.

Anyway, I'm just keeping the stock ROM on there.

But I'm kind of confused, I do want to replace my battery icon with something that shows me numbers, and possibly replace my lock screen. Where can I find downloads for these that will work with stock? Seems like a lot of the tweaks are for this ROM or that ROM.

Also, I downloaded ROM toolbox, does this take the place of having to reboot into recovery to install zip files? Can I really just install this stuff from this app?

ok so here you go:
[MOD][HACK][TWEAK] Your One-Stop-Shop for Gingerbread 4.54.651.1 Mods, Hacks & Tweaks - xda-developers. not sure what software version you are currently rooted at. this will only work on the latest OTA 4.54

also i would not use rom toolbox to flash anything. i would do everything manually in recovery. i do not trust apps to do what you should be doing in recovery. but that is my opinion. but, i have not used this so who knows.

Reactions: K-Rizzle
Upvote 0
I know you said you wanted to keep it stock, but I would recommend flashing TommyTomatoe's Evo Classic rom if you want a nice stock rom with some cool tweaks.

But even with that said, I recommend MikG 3.0 to any rooted user that wants a stock experience. It's just a great rom with some built in tweaks that you can use if you want.

Upvote 0
Thanks. The only reason I want stock is because I just install GO Launcher over it anyway. I love GO Launcher so I don't see any need for another ROM when I will be using a different launcher anyway. I can't stand Sense actually, no scrollable dock, can't uninstall apps with a long press, etc. Only thing I like about sense is the toggle widgets. :)

Mainly I just want to be able to freeze bloatware, change my battery icon and possibly my lock screen.

I used to customize mine in the "kitchen" but I can't find it anymore.

Upvote 0
MikG has the new sense lockring, with the quick access apps.
Also the UOT kitchen is still there and operating. Really easy to mod stuff.
I'm on my phone or I would link you to the UOT kitchen, sorry. :(
I can also teach you how to swap out images in the update.zip to create custom battery icons if you're interested.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for but Mikg 3.0 allows you to switch between htc sense, android lock or honeycomb lockscreen.

It is under Tweaks.

I still have an 'awful samsung moment'. lol. did you have it rooted?

I tried rooting it but I had some sort of problem with it and had to put it back to stock. do you still know how to do it and know which files you used and stuff?

tia!

Upvote 0
I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for but Mikg 3.0 allows you to switch between htc sense, android lock or honeycomb lockscreen.

It is under Tweaks.

I still have an 'awful samsung moment'. lol. did you have it rooted?

I tried rooting it but I had some sort of problem with it and had to put it back to stock. do you still know how to do it and know which files you used and stuff?

tia!

Thanks! lol, sorry, yeah I had to root my moment, it kept restarting on me, freezing up,, etc. My MIL is having the same issues with hers. I just checked out the kitchen, looks like they have everything I need in it.

Upvote 0
So in the kitchen, you have to upload a file or select a ROM, I'm not sure what to do. Guess I have to choose a ROM.

The stock rom may not be listed as the kitchen works for many different phones and their roms. You will likely have to pull the framework-res.apk and com.htc.resources.apk from the stock rom and upload those to get the edits correct.

Upvote 0
Ok, so here's another question...

I randomly picked one, (swagged out stock) and I don't like it. Can I flash another ROM over this one? I vaguely remember something about not flashing one ROM over another. Does this still hold true? Do I have to find a stock ROM and go back to that before flashing another ROM?

Upvote 0
Ok, so here's another question...

I randomly picked one, (swagged out stock) and I don't like it. Can I flash another ROM over this one? I vaguely remember something about not flashing one ROM over another. Does this still hold true? Do I have to find a stock ROM and go back to that before flashing another ROM?

You can flash a new one without going back to stock first. Make a nandroid(if you think you might want to come back to your current one), wipe everything except your sdcard, flash the new rom you want to try, reboot. If it is an AOSP rom, you will need to return to recovery and flash the Gapps file so that you have the market and other google apps.

Upvote 0
Thanks! :)

Can I just restore my last nandroid if I don't want to wipe the phone? Then try to flash another ROM? That should bring me back to rooted stock and at least save the few apps I've already downloaded. I didn't know if it would work right or not.
If you don't use Sense anyway, I would HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend TommyTomatoe's Classic build with Sense stripped out. It rocks. I am playing with Deck ICS right now but will probably flash back over to Tommy's build after I'm done with ICS.

http://classictomatoe.net/android/classic/stable/classic-v005-01-02-finale-senseless.zip

Upvote 0
I like it but there's one thing that bothers me. In the upper left corner there is a line of color, above the status bar. It matches whatever color the battery is at that point. It's irritating me SO much!

ETA: Nevermind, I realized I accidentally checked off the "show battery bar" option. Man that irritated me, lol!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones