• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Quick prepaid question!

dialupslim

Lurker
Oct 16, 2014
Hi all, I am currently with tmobile and I got behind on my bill. Is it possible to unlock my sg3 and use a prepaid service like boost or will I have to pay tmobile 1st? I don't even use my phone that much and I had a plan that was $108 a month... True unlimited phone/text/web (grandfather plan for last year)

What are my options? Thanks in advance.

As far as I'm aware you'll need to pay off your debt to T-Mobile before they'll unlock your phone. After that, if you're a low voice/text/data user you can save a lot by switching to an indie MVNO and avoid getting locked in by those 2 yr contracts. As already mentioned, you can rule out moving to Boost, it works off the Sprint network. For the most part AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM while Verizon and Sprint use CDMA.

Here's a list of MVNOs, you might want to look into the ones that work off of T-Mobile or maybe AT&T. Even though the four big telecoms work in collusion to screw the American consumer, they still maintain their own very separate services so switching your phone to another service will require some extensive homework on your part.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones