• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Raleigh, NC 4G LTE (slow?)

BigRedNole

Aug 20, 2009
I was at the Brier Creek Verizon store today looking to see if the Bionic met the hype. I do not want this to be a Bionic discussion. What I did while there was test the 4G LTE speeds with Speed Test. The results were horrible (5M/1M).

Devices tested: LG Revolution, Samsung Charge, HTC Thunderbolt, Moto Bionic, and one of the tablets (can't remember which one).

Test: Run SpeedTest from the closest server (should have been Wilson, NC)

Issues: The closest server was mapped to Asheville. This was across the board. The devices could not even declare Wilson as closest or even Greensboro.

Results: I used Wilson, Greensboro, and Asheville for the tests on each device. None of them came close to what I consider 4G LTE. Only a random test came in above 5M download. The average was at or less than 5M/1M.

Does anyone in the area have results that are faster than this? Could this be something done in-store that causes poor test results?

Went to 3 different VZW stores (1 Verizon owned and 2 other proprietary stores). The results are all the same. The speeds are around 5M/1M.

Since I do not have a 4G phone, I am not going to be overly concerned. I will not have a phone until the Vigor, Prime, or iSuck comes out. The Bionic screen is just too crappy to justify being charged for a phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones