• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

RAM, ROM, What?

Does anyone know what the partition split size is for the Hero? At the time I wrote this I didn't know what it was, which is why I didn't include it. I haven't come across what it actually is either.

I used Useful Switchers to see how much memory I have left displayed as xxxMB/295MB. I assume from this that 295MB is the size of the Magic's app partition.

Try the same on your Hero and see what it says.

Upvote 0
Android is a bit more unique than any of the previous smartphones in that you don't really need "approval" from a higher power (ex, the Apple store) to install an app that hasn't made it onto the Market.
LOL... Nice but not even close :p
Blackberry (install JAD/JAR files via the web or internal memory.. didn't even have an app world until more recent)
WebOS (can install files via the web.. forgot the format)
WinMo (can install via the CAD files, which can be downloaded via the web or installed via internal memory)

Upvote 0
I was holding at 70Mb of 'Available space' (ROM) for a while, and have dropped to 52Mb in a matter of days. I haven't really installed any apps recently...certainly not 20Mb worth, anyway.

What's the best way to try recovering some of this space? Uninstalling apps barely seems to make a small dent, and I also deleted all SMS threads in Handcent which had no effect.

sleepy

There is probably a lot in some app caches. If you have root, use cachemate from the market. If not, go into settings>applications>manage applications and then go to apps like market, music, maps, albums, etc. Also, you can sort apps by size by pressing menu. Look at the largest ones and either uninstall, or see if they have large caches. This should free up a lot of memory.

Upvote 0
What programs (or are they built in) to view the amount of ROM / RAM being used? I downloaded an app called "Android System Info" and it says total internal memory (I assume that is ROM) is 159 megs. Total RAM is 192 megs......

Hmmm... You can find out free memory by going into settings and looking at sd and phone storage. For RAM, you can use a task killer, (just don't kill anything) or get 2.1 and you can see a lot under Android's built in services manager.

Upvote 0
Forgive me,but i couldnt find this answer anywhere....if I root my phone and then install the 2.1 rom...will my phone not be eligible for the official sprint/htc update (whenever it comes out) ??? Thanks guys this forum has helped me alot!

JF - to get the official Sprint updates you need to be running the same RUU that Sprint expects. So you'll have to restore back from your custom root version.

At least that's how I understand it works.

Upvote 0
Hello, I just checked the t-mobile website and it shows that the My Touch 4G has 4GB of ROM and 768MB RAM. Why is this phone so much higher then all the others for both RAM and ROM? Is it just made to run tons of apps?

Do those numbers mean I can install an insane amount of apps to the internal ROM and be able to run many of them at once without the phone having to swap ram?

Upvote 0
Hello, I just checked the t-mobile website and it shows that the My Touch 4G has 4GB of ROM and 768MB RAM. Why is this phone so much higher then all the others for both RAM and ROM? Is it just made to run tons of apps?

Do those numbers mean I can install an insane amount of apps to the internal ROM and be able to run many of them at once without the phone having to swap ram?

Meh - thats not more than any of the new phones.
As tech improves rom/ram improves.
Enjoy your phone.

Upvote 0
Meh - thats not more than any of the new phones.
As tech improves rom/ram improves.
Enjoy your phone.
Thanks MaholaCat for the quick reply.

I now see the G2 also has a 4GB ROM, but only 512MB RAM. I compared all the "new" phones on t-mobile.com and none come close to the ROM size of the G2 and MyTouch.
The Vibrant says it has 16GB internal memory but I cannot find out how its divided up.

Maybe if I tell you what Im trying to accomplish you can guide me better. I have Google voice, sipddroid, Google Voice Callback Free, all installed on my G1. Im playing around with a data only plan and making all calls using voip and no minutes/voice plan at all on the G1.

It works great on fresh reboots and continues to work great if thats all im doing. When I run other apps even small ones it sometimes becomes slow and unreliable, but not always, depending on the apps I run.

I was thinking it was due to lack of cpu and RAM memory because the G1 is so old and on 1.6 so I was looking for phones with good cpu and maxed out RAM, well maxed out for whats available "today".

Do you think Im on the right track to improve the reliabilty of my voip setup?

Upvote 0
No you are right and this is why it is important to have a task manager app so you can preserve battery life. Android is awesome at managing the RAM for the many different apps and processes running but for any mobile device battery life is at a premium so we must take that into consideration before speed. Some people advocate against a task manager just because linux manages RAM so well. That is grrrreat for a desktop computer. With no juice you have no RAM so there.

Hi I'm a n00b!
Gotta say I'm in the task killer app camp. A tech at Sprint actually recommended I install one. It seems my beloved solitaire app likes to activate other apps on my HTC Hero for no apparent reason, so the task killer is really helpful for me. But I completely understand why there are people who think they're more of a negative than a positive

Upvote 0
@Pdragon: quite often I see people confused about the actual ROM values their phones report. For example, the HTC Magic has 512MB of ROM (and 288MB RAM), but I see users saying "I only see xMB, but I'm supposed to have 512MB! Where is it?"

Your original post alludes to this where you say "From what I've gathered, the Internal Memory is just Flash Memory (a special type of ROM) partitioned into two parts, one for the OS and the rest for apps to use."

It might be helpful to clarify that if people are seeing less than the 512 MB of ROM, it's because of this partitioning, and give an example.

For example, on my HTC Magic when I run Useful Switchers, I can see that I have 180MB of 295MB available from my internal memory (ROM). So I can assume that the partition for the OS is 217MB, and the partition for apps is 295MB.

What programs (or are they built in) to view the amount of ROM / RAM being used? I downloaded an app called "Android System Info" and it says total internal memory (I assume that is ROM) is 159 megs. Total RAM is 192 megs......

I definitively found useful the Android System Info
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.electricsheep.asi&feature=search_result
which provides lots of detail about your phone. Regarding my interest here, the memory, for the NS it reports (after loading the apps that I had on the N1):
Data Max: 0.98GB/ Free 848MB
External Storage Max: 13.31GB/ Free: 12.13GB
Compared to the N1 that reported something like 196 MB Max and 26 MB Free
For the apps that you can move to SD, now it says something like move to USB storage, so those apps can still be moved out of the internal (1GB) memory, if I ever need it. So Thumbs up for the NS regarding memory 

Another tool that I used was Disk Usage
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.google.android.diskusage&feature=search_result
which lists very nicely all apps and free space (that is visible with a non rooted device)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones