• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Random Reboots

Have you experianced Random Reboots on your D3?

• Yes

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think I found the culprit for my rebooting issue. Wifi.. Everytime I'm out and about where the phone is trying to find an open network and I try to swipe to unlock it will reboot. At home where the phone connects to my network it is not a problem. When I was out I turned off wifi and did not have problems, turned it on, rebooted every time. So it must be the phone seaching for open network or something related to wifi that makes it freak out.

Upvote 0
That still seems odd, since the 65nm Snapdragon in my Incredible does not get warm.

Could you try a graphically intense 3d game and see if same or worse?

Angry Birds makes it get pretty toasty. General use and app installs never get it more than mildly warm.

I wonder if the gpu is having issues with it? Something does not seem right. Droid 1 also does not break a sweat and the DX2 had no issue (though got real hot with games like Riptide).

I don't think it's a problem. Game runs beautifully, solid FPS with no stutters. It's just fully utilizing the hardware. Also remember that it's rendering at a bit higher resolution than the D1. My DX2 got just as hot playing it.

The 3D acceleration maybe?

Upvote 0
I think I found the culprit for my rebooting issue. Wifi.. Everytime I'm out and about where the phone is trying to find an open network and I try to swipe to unlock it will reboot. At home where the phone connects to my network it is not a problem. When I was out I turned off wifi and did not have problems, turned it on, rebooted every time. So it must be the phone seaching for open network or something related to wifi that makes it freak out.

I can attest that I am super-conscious about never having Wifi turned on when I'm not at one of my known points. I'm one of the ones that hasn't had a single random reboot. It's just not good for battery life in general to leave it searching anyway. I leave BT and GPS off unless in use, too.

Upvote 0
I can attest that I am super-conscious about never having Wifi turned on when I'm not at one of my known points. I'm one of the ones that hasn't had a single random reboot. It's just not good for battery life in general to leave it searching anyway. I leave BT and GPS off unless in use, too.
On mine and my wife's D2G we leave Wifi and BT on all the time and have never had reboot issues or greatly reduced battery life. I think it's kind of a pain the neck to have to turn wifi and bt on and off all the time.

Upvote 0
I received my replacement D3 yesterday. The new one did the exact same thing. So I set it up under a new account with zero apps to see if the D3 did it again, but did not do it. Great!
Then I went through and installed app by app to see what app was causing the problem. I have a total of 91 apps at this point and has not done it again.

I'm speculating that it might the app Barnacle Wifi tether for rooted phones that I had on my D2G with no problems, but obviously since the D3 is not yet rooted maybe that was causing the problems with my wifi. I have not yet installed it since it needs a wifi download and am work with no wifi access. When I get home I'm going to download Barnacle and see if the problem resurfaces.

But at this point my wifi/reboot problem seems to be gone.

Upvote 0
I had one reboot, and it appears to be something wonky going on with the camera. I think there's a memory leak in it. After a lot of use (and I mean 20+ pictures), sometimes it starts to act a little sluggish (sign of a leak) and closing it sometimes hangs for a while (another sign). Last night it froze for about 30 seconds after taking a shot and then my phone rebooted. I've also had it corrupt with green lines and artifacts a few times (another sign of a leak or poor coding.) I'm sure it will get worked out in an update and I'm not that concerned about it because I don't take that many shots at once very often.

Upvote 0
Well I'm happy to report at this point, no reboots yesterday at all. Last night I installed Barnacle Wifi Tether to see if that was the issue, does not seem to be... I did uninstall it after my tests though. I don't know what app was causing my issue. I have installed almost all of the apps from prior and even new ones without any issues. So now I fully loving my D3 like it should be!!

Upvote 0
I had one reboot, and it appears to be something wonky going on with the camera. I think there's a memory leak in it. After a lot of use (and I mean 20+ pictures), sometimes it starts to act a little sluggish (sign of a leak) and closing it sometimes hangs for a while (another sign). Last night it froze for about 30 seconds after taking a shot and then my phone rebooted. I've also had it corrupt with green lines and artifacts a few times (another sign of a leak or poor coding.) I'm sure it will get worked out in an update and I'm not that concerned about it because I don't take that many shots at once very often.

The camera app does have issues and even the VZW folks commented on it. I was actually warned that the camera app causes issues, based on their testing the D3 out.

I also noticed when testing the D3 the app would crash sometimes. Not sure how this stuff gets by during testing. Seems nuts that VZW folks in stores call it out. Why did the testers up stream not notice it?

Maybe they DID notice it, but did not want to cause a timing issue with the Bionic that seems certain for an early August release.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones