• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ransomware removal

Box or Drive = he meant cloud storage. Dropbox has an app that will let you TF pics to whatever else Dropbox runs on. - PC, Mac Linux

Drive is a Google app that does the same.

The other option would be to use a file explorer and find the pic (DCIM) and see if you can email it to yourself from a file explorer via the share command.

I tried to explain op got with a little snapper so I gave up only here to help . I understand your photos are keepers but in the future you will need those items to avoid this issue . but the safemode also works and for me I seen the device to pickup speed sometimes after the safe mode maybe just me :eek::D

Upvote 0
For speed ... investigate Wipe Cache Partition. This is where temporary data is stored and becomes corrupted over time. It can really slow things down. The wipe doesn't touch any of the data you care about.

(What was very quiet was that an enhancement in the Droid Maxx in 4.4.4 over 4.4 was that a Factory Data Reset also does a Wipe Cache Partition in 4.4.4 and didn't in 4.4. [Yes I wish I was making this up.])

... Thom

Upvote 0
I have had to fix computers with similar problems. In the past, it was my experience that the when ransomware blocks the screen using messages or whatever, the processes on the device are generally still running in the background.

How long have you attempted to let the phone run avast on boot up?

Have you checked to see if this is a common thing with other infected users of avasts removal tool? Maybe the process continues to remove the problem in the background.

And at one time I had an old phone that the screen went dead on. I needed files off of it and Windows wasn't letting me see the device. I then went to distrowatch.com, downloaded my favorite Linux live iso (Knoppix), burned it to disk and booted it up. I hooked up the phone and Linux was able to see the drive that Windows couldn't. Now this worked for me but that doesn't mean it will work for you, but it's worth a try to save the memories.

If that doesn't work and you can get your hands on another phone, I know there are Bluetooth file browser programs out there, but Bluetooth needs to be running on both devices. Maybe someone else has experience with that sort of thing.

Reactions: BRAINZ2013
Upvote 0
I've tried this and it's still not showing up. I'm just about to bite the bullet and factory reset my phone....

Did you get this resolved or no? If not, you can use adb pull to salvage your sdcard pics by enabling developer options, then USB debugging (if you can get that done before being locked out by the ransomware app).

It'd be ideal to enable that from a normally booted phone but if not, you should be able to do the same in safe mode.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones