• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rant!!!! Video sending

If you're sending it via ancient mms, the phone simply limits you to network limitations. Surely with a smart phone, emailing it would be the logical solution.MMS is a thing of the past

That is just silly.

There are also apps that alow you to compress the video for sending. Unfortunately as of yet none rival what's available on the iphone, as that has inbuilt video compression

That was and sill is my biggest peeve about switching from the iPhone to an android phone. Even with the iPhone's compression, the quality of the video sent is far above what is possible with an android phone. And the iPhone does not seem to have the 2 meg limit nor does it have to compress images before sending.

Upvote 0
I think this is the discussion group that I have been looking for.
As a new owner of an S3, I have noticed that some meg4 video clips will not play after being received either by email or via a chat program called kakaoTalk.
Is there really a 2 meg limit on the size of a video clip? Because I can send and receive, but cannot play it.

Upvote 0
Mms is 40 pence per message. No UK carriers have mms as an included allowance, yet data is so its cheaper to send using that and you can send more. No compression. No limits. No stupid threads like this.

You can clearly see the evolution of email as a service over time. MMS is exactly the same as when it was first released

I may be younger than you being in my 30s but that doesn't mean I don't understand the history of my own profession so please don't be so condescending

Upvote 0
Mms is 40 pence per message. No UK carriers have mms as an included allowance, yet data is so its cheaper to send using that and you can send more. No compression. No limits. No stupid threads like this.

You can clearly see the evolution of email as a service over time. MMS is exactly the same as when it was first released

I may be younger than you being in my 30s but that doesn't mean I don't understand the history of my own profession so please don't be so condescending

Well I see why your views are different than mine. I pay $4.99 US dollars per month for unlimited MMS. Pretty common to have unlimited in the USA.

It makes more sense to use MMS for many people. Lots of people do not regularly check their e-mail and downloading attachments eats up their data allowance. Besides, you would have to know their email address. I have phone numbers for many of my friends, but not email addresses. Heck, I don't even know what my mom's email address is. I don't need it. MMS and other social connections is faster.

As far as the progression of email, the semantics of how email is handled on the servers has evolved but the basic user experience has remained relatively unchanged for the past 15+ years. Pretty much everything you can do with an email today could be done 15 years ago. Including checking email via cell phone.

Upvote 0
Mms is 40 pence per message.

sSig_eeksign.gif
65 US cents per MMS? Holy crap. I would spend close to 1000 US dollars a month in MMS charges.

Upvote 0
I have unlimited data in UK aswell, which is quite common. You also don't need someone's email address. It can be uploaded, then a link sent by text. That way it's up to the receiver to us the data connection they have ample of.

That's just more steps and it requires the sender to use their data. Seems the US and the UK view things differently based on service availability and cost.

Just the differences of being across the pond.

I agree that MMS is old out of date tech. The limits havent changed whilst our phones have can now take a 1080p video which as pointed out is a whole 7 seconds worth of footage

It's not a limitation of MMS, it's a limitation set by the carrier. Apple seems to have stepped around those limits. I can send any length video without much loss of quality from the iPhone. It's more of android phones not being able to take care of the sending of video.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones