• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root RE: Battery Life after Flashing a ROM

Hey guys. First time posting, long time lurker. Will be more active from now on since I got laid off. xD

Anyway I just got the Esteem about a week ago and I know that the battery life is straight CRAP but I was wondering if there is certain factors that contribute o this. Or maybe even if it varies individual phone to phone. Like in my case it seems that the 4G where I live and even the 1X is very spotty. I seem to live near the edge of the signal and the phone having to constantly look for signal depletes it faster than normal. On the the other hand my previous phone's battery (Optimus M R/Flshd CM7.2) was MUCH better than this one's and most of that was attributed to the custom kernel and rom. So idk..

Moving on..my main question is this: Can I expect the battery life on this phone to be nearly as good as my Optimus' after flashing something like CyanogenMOD? I hear that the 4G/LTE's processor is beefy thus requiring more juice during normal phone use and as of right now there's no (quick) way of toggling JUST the 4G so that's not an option.

Thanks for reading! :D

Hey guys. First time posting, long time lurker. Will be more active from now on since I got laid off. xD

Anyway I just got the Esteem about a week ago and I know that the battery life is straight CRAP but I was wondering if there is certain factors that contribute o this. Or maybe even if it varies individual phone to phone. Like in my case it seems that the 4G where I live and even the 1X is very spotty. I seem to live near the edge of the signal and the phone having to constantly look for signal depletes it faster than normal. On the the other hand my previous phone's battery (Optimus M R/Flshd CM7.2) was MUCH better than this one's and most of that was attributed to the custom kernel and rom. So idk..

Moving on..my main question is this: Can I expect the battery life on this phone to be nearly as good as my Optimus' after flashing something like CyanogenMOD? I hear that the 4G/LTE's processor is beefy thus requiring more juice during normal phone use and as of right now there's no (quick) way of toggling JUST the 4G so that's not an option.

Thanks for reading! :D

I'm sure there are some tweaks that can be done to build.prop that would improve battery life once a ROM gets made. But that will most likely be countered by overclocking the phone (main reason I purchased the extended battery)

Upvote 0
I'm sure there are some tweaks that can be done to build.prop that would improve battery life once a ROM gets made. But that will most likely be countered by overclocking the phone (main reason I purchased the extended battery)

Thanks for your answer Prime. Yea..I will probably end up getting that extended battery eventually as well. :D

Upvote 0
i was too fed up with battery and lags. I gave in and purchase the lg esteem optimizer. And it definitely helped you. I recommend it. Other than that, make sure you have wifi off, gps off, if your not using it of course. Also, you can get a toggle for 4g data, to shut it of when you don't need it.

Mostly, that's what takes up the most battery usage. You definitively want to root it and remove metrowifi and my metro and all the other crap that runs no matter what, that you never use. That crap runs no matter what and keeps taking battery life.

Up to you. I also used FastReboot. Seems to work good, as it closes apps that you had open, which ive never liked task killers, but that one was decent, because you can set it up to do it on lock screen, or unlock. Versus others that you have to either do it, or it does it every time.

Upvote 0
i was too fed up with battery and lags. I gave in and purchase the lg esteem optimizer. And it definitely helped you. I recommend it. Other than that, make sure you have wifi off, gps off, if your not using it of course. Also, you can get a toggle for 4g data, to shut it of when you don't need it.

Mostly, that's what takes up the most battery usage. You definitively want to root it and remove metrowifi and my metro and all the other crap that runs no matter what, that you never use. That crap runs no matter what and keeps taking battery life.

Up to you. I also used FastReboot. Seems to work good, as it closes apps that you had open, which ive never liked task killers, but that one was decent, because you can set it up to do it on lock screen, or unlock. Versus others that you have to either do it, or it does it every time.

What app did you use to toggle 4G ? Does it toggle 4G to 3G or 1x ??

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thanks Shiny and PlayfulGod. I'll try both and post back ONLY if it works lol. I was already looking at the extended battery anyway and will probably still get it just waiting to see results of solutions like these. If nothing works after some time I'll get the extended battery. Then again that new, super-shiny, mega-ultra-cool, sexy piece of tech called Asus Trasformer Prime comes out soon, *drool* decisions, decisions... *lesigh*

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones