• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Reasons the Droid X is a great tool for a College Student

Now, I'm going to be a college student & working full time. I'm going back to school for my masters. I see having a smartphone to be necessary for me. Balancing my work schedule, personal schedule & school schedule needs more than an appointment book. I need something that is constantly in front of me.. reminding me that I have class in an hour, a doctors appointment tomorrow and work till noon.. so I can't attend that study group!

Yeah.. It's a want, not a need. But the pro/con list is equal. :)

Upvote 0
So wait in line to use one. The extra few minutes you spend won't hurt you in the long run. Spending $1000+ over the life of a 2 year contract on a smartphone just to save those few minutes makes no sense.

I have to disagree. As a college student(an upcoming sophomore), there is really no such thing as waiting around a few minutes for a computer.

Most people are on facebook and have learned the trick of hiding the fact their on facebook while looking like they are doing the work

So if you wait, chances are you will be waiting around for awhile

Although his argument about waiting is more so ideal of getting a nice laptop and not a Droid X

Upvote 0
I have to disagree. As a college student(an upcoming sophomore), there is really no such thing as waiting around a few minutes for a computer.

Most people are on facebook and have learned the trick of hiding the fact their on facebook while looking like they are doing the work

Sooo True, everytime u walk into the computer lab, almost everyone is on facebook, but they have microsoft excel open so you think they are doing serious work.

Upvote 0

So if you wait, chances are you will be waiting around for awhile

Although his argument about waiting is more so ideal of getting a nice laptop and not a Droid X
If your library is allowing this, then it's the library's fault. It's not that difficult to set up a proxy filter to lock out Facebook or a time limit to help enforce acceptable use of their computers. And if you see someone on FB when you have a more legitimate need to use a library computer, it should be no problem to politely ask that person to give it up, or find a staff member to do it.

Upvote 0
Name ONE university in this country that requires, as terms of enrollment, all of its students to own an iPhone or an iPod Touch. You can't. You're either lying or totally misinformed. And sorry, nobody's going to believe you just because you "read it somewhere".

Duke gives all incoming Freshman iPods, and Illinois Institute of Technology is giving all incoming Freshman iPads. I named two. :D

But I know it isn't a necessity to have a smartphone, TV, iPod, GPS at school. But they are helpful and can make college life simpler as well as more enjoyable. I compromised with my parents, they will pay for the phone and I pay for the data.

Upvote 0
Please, stop with the "risking getting sick" argument. At a college student's age, trudging through snow or cold weather isn't going to kill anyone unless you're doing it without clothes. Besides, by your reasoning if classes aren't cancelled you STILL have to go out into the cold weather to go to class, so you're at risk no matter what happens.

Solution: don't wake up late.

A totally specious reason to justify having a smartphone.

How much of a HUGE timesaver is it? Unless you're doing this constantly, you'll save yourself a few minutes max, unless your library doesn't have computer terminals nearby for you to walk over and do a search.

Or you can write the word down on a piece of paper and look it up later.

Taking a photo of a chalkboard or whiteboard with a smartphone camera, indoors, with poor lighting, is hardly helpful. And if you want to record a professor's lecture, there are tiny digital voice recorders out there that are much cheaper, have insane amounts of recording time, and longer battery life than a smartphone.

Or you can use a paper calendar or a portable day planner. Much cheaper. It's a wonder how college kids stayed organized before PDAs and smartphones, isn't it.

Sorry, but if my kid approached me with even half of the reasons you gave to try to justify me buying him a Droid X, I'd just laugh in his face.

If you want to sleep in because of an active social life, that's fine. But that's no justification to own a smartphone. If classes are that important to you, then get up earlier. Simple.

I have no idea why you brought up printers. You regularly print stuff off your phone?

So wait in line to use one. The extra few minutes you spend won't hurt you in the long run. Spending $1000+ over the life of a 2 year contract on a smartphone just to save those few minutes makes no sense.

If listening to EVERY word the professor is saying in the lecture is that important to you, then how is it easier to look up a word on a smartphone in the middle of that lecture?

Then you didn't shop around well enough:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ICD-BX700-Digital-Recorder-Microphone/dp/B001RB1XVG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1280153841&sr=8-4

You don't even need a "decent" audio recorder that records hundreds of hours at a time, just one that can record monaural audio for a few hours. Can cost less than $35. What exactly do you need to do with $90 digital voice recorder than you can't do with the one I posted above as an example?

Then the bottom line is, you're too lazy. You just want to input dates and times into a calendar and expect the calendar to remind you about every single appointment you've put into it. It wouldn't kill you to take a look at a paper calendar or a school planner every so often to see what's coming up in the next few days.

Besides, if you REALLY want to do it electronically, a simple PDA or even an iPod Touch would work just as well, and would cost less in the long run.

Name ONE university in this country that requires, as terms of enrollment, all of its students to own an iPhone or an iPod Touch. You can't. You're either lying or totally misinformed. And sorry, nobody's going to believe you just because you "read it somewhere".

I have a very open mind. And as I mentioned in my first post on this thread, I'm a university professor so I've had much more experience, both as a student and faculty, with college and college life than you ever will. You completely missed my point - nobody's denying that a smartphone is a helpful tool for college. So is a car, or satellite TV, or a GPS unit, or a top of the line Dell XPS computer - but all of these things are just as much frivolous luxury items in college as they are useful tools, and you can easily get by in college without them. If you had used these excuses to try to talk me into buying you a smartphone for college, you would have failed miserably. Your last post hasn't changed that.

Dude - are you this guys Dad? Because you sure are getting worked up over something that is 100% not your business.

The guy asked for some reasons how he could convince his parents to get him a Smart phone. If you cannot think of any reasons then don't post. He didn't ask for people to argue with him over the why having a smart phone is not smart.

Take a step back and don't make this personal. It's just a guy asking for advice. Not everyone is going to agree with what he wants, but there is no need to argue about it.

Upvote 0
If you want to sleep in because of an active social life, that's fine. But that's no justification to own a smartphone. If classes are that important to you, then get up earlier. Simple.

I have no idea why you brought up printers. You regularly print stuff off your phone?

If listening to EVERY word the professor is saying in the lecture is that important to you, then how is it easier to look up a word on a smartphone in the middle of that lecture?

Then you didn't shop around well enough:

Amazon.com: Sony ICD-BX700 Digital Voice Recorder with Stereo…

You don't even need a "decent" audio recorder that records hundreds of hours at a time, just one that can record monaural audio for a few hours. Can cost less than $35. What exactly do you need to do with $90 digital voice recorder than you can't do with the one I posted above as an example?

Then the bottom line is, you're too lazy. You just want to input dates and times into a calendar and expect the calendar to remind you about every single appointment you've put into it. It wouldn't kill you to take a look at a paper calendar or a school planner every so often to see what's coming up in the next few days.

Besides, if you REALLY want to do it electronically, a simple PDA or even an iPod Touch would work just as well, and would cost less in the long run.

I have a very open mind. And as I mentioned in my first post on this thread, I'm a university professor so I've had much more experience, both as a student and faculty, with college and college life than you ever will. You completely missed my point - nobody's denying that a smartphone is a helpful tool for college. So is a car, or satellite TV, or a GPS unit, or a top of the line Dell XPS computer - but all of these things are just as much frivolous luxury items in college as they are useful tools, and you can easily get by in college without them. If you had used these excuses to try to talk me into buying you a smartphone for college, you would have failed miserably. Your last post hasn't changed that.

lol then it is good that I don't have to convince you of anything. I explained ways that people benefit with a smartphone in college. I brought up printers because I have to print off many notes from online. That is why I said hope a computer is open and that the printers are working. A smartphone allows you to follow along on your phone if you didn't print them out yet. As for the voice recorder I bought it years ago, prices go down. As for the iphones/ipod touches/ipads:

University of Florida pharmacy students must have iPhone or iPod Touch

Seton Hill University promises iPads for all students (Corrected)

Anyway I am done arguing with you. It's clear you refuse to see or admit that there are conveniences in using smartphones in college. I have said many times that there are other ways to do things and they are not necessary. They are a helpful tool and they make things easier, I was giving examples. That was the point of the OP.

Upvote 0
Duke gives all incoming Freshman iPods, and Illinois Institute of Technology is giving all incoming Freshman iPads. I named two. :D
There's a difference between giving incoming freshmen iPods/iPads and REQUIRING all students to have one. As far as these schools are concerned, you are free to do whatever you want with your devices - use them, sell them, or destroy them. Just because a college gives its freshmen something doesn't mean they're required to own them.

I'm not talking about a school of pharmacy with at most a few hundred students, I'm talking about a normal undergraduate university. And Seton Hill, like Duke and IIT, does not REQUIRE ownership of these devices. Again, you fail.

But I know it isn't a necessity to have a smartphone, TV, iPod, GPS at school. But they are helpful and can make college life simpler as well as more enjoyable. I compromised with my parents, they will pay for the phone and I pay for the data.
Nothing wrong with that. I just find the examples/excuses that mlynchmob16 gives to justify his ownership of a smartphone rather lame and ridiculous.

Dude - are you this guys Dad? Because you sure are getting worked up over something that is 100% not your business.

The guy asked for some reasons how he could convince his parents to get him a Smart phone. If you cannot think of any reasons then don't post. He didn't ask for people to argue with him over the why having a smart phone is not smart.

Take a step back and don't make this personal. It's just a guy asking for advice. Not everyone is going to agree with what he wants, but there is no need to argue about it.
Nobody's getting worked up or taking this personally. I was responding to another's post pointing out how none of his reasons were terribly convincing. Unless you're a moderator, you don't get to tell me when I can and can't post a response in this thread.

Upvote 0
Nobody's getting worked up or taking this personally. I was responding to another's post pointing out how none of his reasons were terribly convincing. Unless you're a moderator, you don't get to tell me when I can and can't post a response in this thread.

It's good to hear you aren't getting worked up or taking this personally. Already 1/2 of your 8 total posts are pretty negative in tone. I'd hate to see you "worked up." ;)

Let me guess, you teach economics or accounting?

Edit -
You say you have an open mind about things, yet you have called the OP a liar and you called him lazy. The OP also called your bluff and gave you credible evidence that schools are moving towards requiring devices like this. Sure, it was just one school of pharmacy, but that is a start. I'm sure we will see more schools move in this direction. Just like 15 years ago, most schools did not require a laptop....

Upvote 0
Let me guess, you teach economics or accounting?
Nope.

Edit -
You say you have an open mind about things, yet you have called the OP a liar and you called him lazy. The OP also called your bluff and gave you credible evidence that schools are moving towards requiring devices like this. Sure, it was just one school of pharmacy, but that is a start. I'm sure we will see more schools move in this direction. Just like 15 years ago, most schools did not require a laptop....
Credible evidence? One pharmacy school (less than 1% of all pharmacy schools in the USA) in the entire nation is credible evidence of what exactly?

Calling the OP a liar and lazy has nothing to do with openmindedness, it's the truth.

Most schools in this country still do not require ownership of a laptop computer as a requirement for enrollment. If you have evidence that more than 50% of undergraduate colleges and universities do, feel free to post it.

Upvote 0
There's a difference between giving incoming freshmen iPods/iPads and REQUIRING all students to have one. As far as these schools are concerned, you are free to do whatever you want with your devices - use them, sell them, or destroy them. Just because a college gives its freshmen something doesn't mean they're required to own them.

Why would a school go through the hassle of requiring it if they weren't going to be expected to use it? Also if you read the pharmacy article it talks about how they want the students to use the technology to be familiar with it. It also talks about a school of journalism.

I'm not talking about a school of pharmacy with at most a few hundred students, I'm talking about a normal undergraduate university. And Seton Hill, like Duke and IIT, does not REQUIRE ownership of these devices. Again, you fail.

Seton Hill University - A Leading Catholic Liberal Arts University in Greensburg Pennsylvania

This article clearly states "Seton Hill faculty members (who will be equipped with the same mobile technologies as the students) have been trained to use the best of modern technology to expand learning opportunities." Sounds like they will use the technology, meaning you would need it.

Also if you look up Duke it talks about using the technology in classes.

Nothing wrong with that. I just find the examples/excuses that mlynchmob16 gives to justify his ownership of a smartphone rather lame and ridiculous.

I wasn't justifying my ownership. I own smartphones because I want to end of story. I was just giving examples of ways that I use them to help my collegiate experience. That is the point of this thread.

Credible evidence? One pharmacy school (less than 1% of all pharmacy schools in the USA) in the entire nation is credible evidence of what exactly?

It is credible evidence because it is an example, and it is provable as true. Never did I say every or even most school require it.

Calling the OP a liar and lazy has nothing to do with openmindedness, it's the truth.

What have I lied about? How can you call me lazy when you know nothing about me? Because I sleep in till 7:45am...hardly grounds for lazy.

Upvote 0
Nope.

No it is not the truth. I have had several discussions with my parents about this and am always truthful with them.

Please explain to me how wanting a smart-phone makes me lazy?

Again, no where in my OP does it say I NEED one, it states that I want one.

I am fortunate that my parents are putting me through school since I am attending a private university. I do have a job and have stated I am going to be paying the data plan.

And besides I have a car, a Suite for this upcoming school year, and a very nice TV (which I bought as well), so shouldn't I round all that off with a smart-phone? ;)

Upvote 0
No it is not the truth. I have had several discussions with my parents about this and am always truthful with them.

Please explain to me how wanting a smart-phone makes me lazy?

Again, no where in my OP does it say I NEED one, it states that I want one.

I am fortunate that my parents are putting me through school since I am attending a private university. I do have a job and have stated I am going to be paying the data plan.

And besides I have a car, a Suite for this upcoming school year, and a very nice TV (which I bought as well), so shouldn't I round all that off with a smart-phone? ;)

I don't think your lazy. I think the other posters point about the Duke thing was it's not required meaning students are not refused admission to this school if they do not have this piece of technology, not it's given to them so they get fimiliar with it you know? I'm trying to decided if I should upgrade just cause I'm not sure if I want to spend the money since I have other things I use to do the same things as this phone would and I'm almost always near WiFi, but not the best i.e my school WiFi. So ya that's where I stand but it's cool knowing the droid x can do all this stuff.

Upvote 0
All of you college students saying a smartphone/laptop is not needed must have easy majors. I'm not being a dick, I'm just jealous. In my undergrad years I was rocking a blackberry. voice recorder was used constantly, the calendar it had was good for it's time. emails obviously. It made life a lot easier, especially considering the amount of alcohol and cannabis i consume(d).

I would go so far to say that I would not have been nearly successful in school without it. That's for you Interpol. My time is valuable now, and it was even moreso in undergrad... that is what is going to make or break the rest of your kid's life at that point. Don't be a dick. The 15 minutes I'm wasting to walk back to my apartment to send an email, or Waiting in line to use a computer on campus, can better be used doing other more important things. Ok buy separate devices? I'll spend $50 for a pocket recorder, $100 for an ipod, $100 for a calculator, wait...wait...are you insane?

I'm trying to put my day together tomorrow, wednesday, and friday in my head, off the cuff, as if somebody had just asked me. A girl perhaps, responding to when I might be free to hang out! Oh my god! What the hell would I do without my smartphone?

Enter the droid X. I have more need now for a smartphone than I did while I was in school, but I can definitely see the benefit of not only having a phone that can run many apps, but having a phone where if you find you need an tool app that doesn't exist, you can write it. If I've got free time I fire up droidemulite and play some roms.

A chick magnet? How about a geek chick magnet? When you're playing some old school snes games and a cute little girl spies you with your tethered nintendo wiimote playing Chrono Trigger and she gasps and says "OMG that was my favorite game! Old School!" Score. and true story.

I'm really digging not having to lug around my laptop every single place, it pretty much sits in my trunk where now I can just bring my X and it suffices the majority of the time. GPS and Ipod are gathering dust. Device consolidation is the wave of the future. Ride it man, ride it.

Upvote 0
All of you college students saying a smartphone/laptop is not needed must have easy majors. I'm not being a dick, I'm just jealous. In my undergrad years I was rocking a blackberry. voice recorder was used constantly, the calendar it had was good for it's time. emails obviously. It made life a lot easier, especially considering the amount of alcohol and cannabis i consume(d).

I would go so far to say that I would not have been nearly successful in school without it. That's for you Interpol. My time is valuable now, and it was even moreso in undergrad... that is what is going to make or break the rest of your kid's life at that point. Don't be a dick. The 15 minutes I'm wasting to walk back to my apartment to send an email, or Waiting in line to use a computer on campus, can better be used doing other more important things. Ok buy separate devices? I'll spend $50 for a pocket recorder, $100 for an ipod, $100 for a calculator, wait...wait...are you insane?

I'm trying to put my day together tomorrow, wednesday, and friday in my head, off the cuff, as if somebody had just asked me. A girl perhaps, responding to when I might be free to hang out! Oh my god! What the hell would I do without my smartphone?

Enter the droid X. I have more need now for a smartphone than I did while I was in school, but I can definitely see the benefit of not only having a phone that can run many apps, but having a phone where if you find you need an tool app that doesn't exist, you can write it. If I've got free time I fire up droidemulite and play some roms.

A chick magnet? How about a geek chick magnet? When you're playing some old school snes games and a cute little girl spies you with your tethered nintendo wiimote playing Chrono Trigger and she gasps and says "OMG that was my favorite game! Old School!" Score. and true story.

I'm really digging not having to lug around my laptop every single place, it pretty much sits in my trunk where now I can just bring my X and it suffices the majority of the time. GPS and Ipod are gathering dust. Device consolidation is the wave of the future. Ride it man, ride it.

iTouch 64 GB is like 399.99
Voice Recorder (decent one is) 39.99 and up
My HP Touchsmart TX2 is 800.00 w/Geek Squad Black Tie Protection 200.00
TomTom One Series is like 299.99 I think (I got it as a christmas gift cause my folks got tired of me calling them for directions everywhere LOLZ, my mom literally told me to stop calling her one time when I was lost hahaha true story)
T9 calculator (Granted I got mine in hs) was like 150.00

So I totally agree that device consolidation is the future, and it's nice, hence when newer laptops came out and everyone was like YES more things can be achieved!!

I am currently going for a BA in Medieval Studies or at my college a history degree and I'm really debating the usefulness of a Droid device verses the long term cost. Glad to hear from someone who was an under grad and rocking a blackberry. Guys like you really help me to weight out my decision. It's just kinda like I don't want to make my iTouch obsolete at this point, but I know I won't cause I just love it too much, and I realize that the only WiFi I'll ever use is my own home network, cause it's the bomb, and my schools sucks.

I will tell you this, I can't even begin to tell you how many times my back and shoulders hurt from the backpack I carry around. I've been forced to try out my cousins xbox 360 backpack/travel bag to see if it helps at all. 11 books for one class, that's a bit one the wth side of things in addition to the laptop, pens, and everything every other professor wants you to carry. Sometimes I wish my professors would realize that classes are taken 4 at a time not one at a time.

Upvote 0
I am going into my junior year in college. I didn't have a smartphone for my first year and got one half way through my second year. I have done about the same through both first years. A smartphone is not a necessity, but it does help a lot. I was much more organized and able to manage my time much better with a smartphone. I was able to save important e-mails and have them available to see what time I have to meet my prof if I somehow forgot, I wouldn't have to go to the lib or sit down if I had my laptop with me. Also with the 4 syllabuses and countless papers and things you are getting from all your classes, it gets quite hard to continuously pull out and sort through each binder to find your damn syllabus when I could easily have all the information including my prof's office hours, phone number, e-mail, and important dates right on my BB.

A smartphone is NOT needed for college, but it does make life much more simple. Don't tell them why you NEED it, but why it would make life easier and make you better equipped to handle college life with technology becoming more integrated into college life. Simple as that man. If they don't go for it then pay for the data plan and phone yourself. My parents were nice enough to not make me pay for the data plan after seeing how it made me organized and helped my life and also with their realization that we are all going to need data plans in the future. I paid for BB and I paid in full for my droid x. I am guessing you have a job to help pay for college expenses such as books, beer, and food, so just pay for the droid x yourself.

Upvote 0

I don't know about that. I majored in Electrical Engineering (graduated recently), something I wouldn't call "easy" at one of the best engineering schools. If you go to decent enough school, you will have wifi in nearly all places, also computers available in almost every building. And literally everyone has a laptop.

Upvote 0
I'm gonna be a senior in college, and i just got the x. glad i got it during the summer so it wont distract me AS much when school starts next month because the hype will have cooled down. I had the storm for the past year and a half, and during school, it was very helpful. My school is moving paperless so the teachers are just emailing the syllabus and everything on the computer. it is very helpful to be able to pull up and document the teacher emailed out in a matter of seconds, also working in groups, you are able to email everyone very easily, and view documents and also edit them. a smart phone is a necessity in college these days.

Upvote 0
Like others have said, if you have to try and justify for it you probably don't need one.

For me, my Storm was immensely useful because of e-mail, and the browser (as shitty as it was) to check classes and such. For example, our school sends e-mails out when new classes open up and either you're sitting at home waiting for this e-mail to register or you go home later to see the e-mail and oh look, now the class is full. Now that I have the Droid 1 currently I find a lot of useful things such as GPS, Yelp, Amazon (this one app alone probably saves me tons of money when I look up textbooks, supplies, etc) and more.

I work full time and go to school full time and I just pay for everything myself. That way my parents can't say anything and in fact, they're happy that I'm able to manage everything myself when most of our family friends still leech off their parents. So if you can pay for it yourself, that's the easiest way.

Upvote 0
I don't know about that. I majored in Electrical Engineering (graduated recently), something I wouldn't call "easy" at one of the best engineering schools. If you go to decent enough school, you will have wifi in nearly all places, also computers available in almost every building. And literally everyone has a laptop.

My university was packed, and I mean Packed. Maybe it was just my study hours, but there wasn't much I could do about it. If you didn't *need* it then that's cool. I'm not going to get into a penis measuring contest about whose major is harder, but honestly to be as efficient as I am (getting shit done day to day) I would have to lug around a laptop and 3-4 other devices. That's just not an option for me, and from what it sounds like, it's not an option anymore for a lot of people.

TL;DR: Convenience and efficiency costs money, but far less money than my time is worth.

Upvote 0
My university was packed, and I mean Packed. Maybe it was just my study hours, but there wasn't much I could do about it. If you didn't *need* it then that's cool. I'm not going to get into a penis measuring contest about whose major is harder, but honestly to be as efficient as I am (getting shit done day to day) I would have to lug around a laptop and 3-4 other devices. That's just not an option for me, and from what it sounds like, it's not an option anymore for a lot of people.

TL;DR: Convenience and efficiency costs money, but far less money than my time is worth.
I am just curious.
Didn't you have Wifi pretty much everywhere on campus?

Upvote 0
Yes, but what does that matter?

I stated the reasons I think a device like this should be in any sophomore's tool kit. Efficiency, convenience, and device consolidation. I don't see how a little wifi can hurt that argument, because it's rock solid. Do the math. I'm saving well over a grand by not having to have a laptop, calculator, ipod, etc... :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones