• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Reasons the Droid X is a great tool for a College Student

For me personally, I'd like to point out that while yes we have campus wide wifi, that doesn't mean it's by any means good. So while yes it's theoretically available doesn't mean it's physically accessible. That's not me complaining cause shoot it's the cheapest wifi the school can get and they don't pay but one contractor to keep it up and running so it goes down a lot regardless, or what I like the best is when everyone and their grandmother wants to get on it and it slows to like dial up speeds and then you can't do anything cause your timing out on college access sites and the college tells you thanks for your letting us know the internet is slow but we don't care buzz off response and they do nothing to fix it. I mean thus will be my third semester and the wifi is the big reason I'm considering the smartphone.

Upvote 0
Yes, but what does that matter?

I stated the reasons I think a device like this should be in any sophomore's tool kit. Efficiency, convenience, and device consolidation. I don't see how a little wifi can hurt that argument, because it's rock solid. Do the math. I'm saving well over a grand by not having to have a laptop, calculator, ipod, etc... :)
First of all you are not answering my question. I asked because that's what I did I walked like 5 minutes to student center or other buildings with wifi.
Second of all, you CANNOT replace a laptop with a smartphone. And if you take anything more than Calculus, which most take in high school these days, you need TI-8X series for the best result. As for Ipod, is that for school?
The voice recorder, you can just pay attention in class and remember what you prof said.
I think a smartphone could be good for some people, like those working full-time while taking classes, an MBA student, a student at a campus that is not centralized but still walking distance or something like that. But for common student, no matter how difficult your studies are, it is something that you can easily do without.

Upvote 0
iTouch 64 GB is like 399.99
Voice Recorder (decent one is) 39.99 and up
My HP Touchsmart TX2 is 800.00 w/Geek Squad Black Tie Protection 200.00
TomTom One Series is like 299.99 I think (I got it as a christmas gift cause my folks got tired of me calling them for directions everywhere LOLZ, my mom literally told me to stop calling her one time when I was lost hahaha true story)
T9 calculator (Granted I got mine in hs) was like 150.00

So I totally agree that device consolidation is the future, and it's nice, hence when newer laptops came out and everyone was like YES more things can be achieved!!

I am currently going for a BA in Medieval Studies or at my college a history degree and I'm really debating the usefulness of a Droid device verses the long term cost. Glad to hear from someone who was an under grad and rocking a blackberry. Guys like you really help me to weight out my decision. It's just kinda like I don't want to make my iTouch obsolete at this point, but I know I won't cause I just love it too much, and I realize that the only WiFi I'll ever use is my own home network, cause it's the bomb, and my schools sucks.

I will tell you this, I can't even begin to tell you how many times my back and shoulders hurt from the backpack I carry around. I've been forced to try out my cousins xbox 360 backpack/travel bag to see if it helps at all. 11 books for one class, that's a bit one the wth side of things in addition to the laptop, pens, and everything every other professor wants you to carry. Sometimes I wish my professors would realize that classes are taken 4 at a time not one at a time.

Who is your wifi provider, it seems like yours is reliable.

Upvote 0
Who is your wifi provider, it seems like yours is reliable.

We have I think Cisko or somethin like that and they are about 60 percent reliable. Either the plan my school is on is too low to accommodate all the students or what idk but it's slow and goes down a lot.

Hahaha sorry if you meant my home provider it's verizon. They are pretty good, however they blew a broadband card about two months ago and didn't tell anyone about it and I called them up playing confused and annoyed college student and got three supervisors calling me, a tech to come to my house for free with a return free visit for another issue, a two and a half month discount off our bill, and new filters free of charge for my phone. So they kissed my butt big time to keep my families business since they couldn't bs me about anything.

Upvote 0
We have I think Cisko or somethin like that and they are about 60 percent reliable. Either the plan my school is on is too low to accommodate all the students or what idk but it's slow and goes down a lot.
Cisco just makes the network gears your ISP would be someone else, although problem could be with the network gears as well as in the service provided by the ISP.

Upvote 0
Cisco just makes the network gears your ISP would be someone else, although problem could be with the network gears as well as in the service provided by the ISP.

I read your earlier post and have to agree that you cannot place a laptop with a smartphone. It's just not possible. It's like I still use a desktop computer at home when I have long papers to write instead of my laptop cause it's harder on my eyes to sit in from of a 12.1" screen for like 6 hours when I could be sitting in front of the wide screen desktop owned by my mom for photo editing. More landscape and less straining for my glass wearing eyes.

Upvote 0
I read your earlier post and have to agree that you cannot place a laptop with a smartphone. It's just not possible. It's like I still use a desktop computer at home when I have long papers to write instead of my laptop cause it's harder on my eyes to sit in from of a 12.1" screen for like 6 hours when I could be sitting in front of the wide screen desktop owned by my mom for photo editing. More landscape and less straining for my glass wearing eyes.
I cannot imagine writing a paper on "Anachronism as seen in Medieval Arts" using a smartphone, I would go insane.

Upvote 0
I cannot imagine writing a paper on "Anachronism as seen in Medieval Arts" using a smartphone, I would go insane.

I went insane trying to write a 6 page character biography on a 16th century Germany peasant girl considering there are two source that mention them in a paragraph and our professor said we could use our notes and since we didn't have her degrees under our belts we couldn't access those thick books in libraries where you needed her access to get them and this was all on my wide screen desktop lol! And my Ovid paper was just all over the it was modern influences analysis of a myth that was three mini pages long and it had to be 10 pages long. Lol sometimes I dream of myself getting a full nights sleep and wake up feeling like I only got two.

Upvote 0
I went insane trying to write a 6 page character biography on a 16th century Germany peasant girl considering there are two source that mention them in a paragraph and our professor said we could use our notes and since we didn't have her degrees under our belts we couldn't access those thick books in libraries where you needed her access to get them and this was all on my wide screen desktop lol! And my Ovid paper was just all over the it was modern influences analysis of a myth that was three mini pages long and it had to be 10 pages long. Lol sometimes I dream of myself getting a full nights sleep and wake up feeling like I only got two.
No offense and it's pretty late as well but your run-on sentence nearly killed me just now. Also, I never got to experience the agony of writing five papers per week (I sort of wanted to take more history classes but if I did, I would have graduated with 150+ credit hours) but 30hr/week lab time did make up for it.

Upvote 0
I never said my phone is a replacement for my laptop. I said that I don't have to bring my laptop for every little thing now. Let's be specific shall we?

It all comes down to you knowing your life, and me knowing mine. You can get along without your phone, you don't mind carrying 20lbs of extra weight. I do. No need to act like an asshole, just call it a difference of opinion and move the **** on k? ;)

Upvote 0
I never said my phone is a replacement for my laptop. I said that I don't have to bring my laptop for every little thing now. Let's be specific shall we?

It all comes down to you knowing your life, and me knowing mine. You can get along without your phone, you don't mind carrying 20lbs of extra weight. I do. No need to act like an asshole, just call it a difference of opinion and move the **** on k? ;)
What's with the name calling? I thought the forum had no tolerance policy.
I though you were a grown man/woman?
Btw, I just carried my laptop <5lb, maybe one book <1lb, other stuff all combined <1lb. All in all less than 10lb in my backpack.
The whole point of my post was that a college student shouldn't need a smartphone, if one has it already and can use it well, good for you. But, don't try to justify that you definitely need it.

Upvote 0
I used my phone to take notes in class for a while. One of my professors really had a thing about phones in his class though and one day he saw me with my head down typing away on it. He called me up to the front and told me to put the phone down on his desk and pick it up after class. I then showed him that I had typed out everything he said word for word for the past 30 minutes using a word processor app. He looked, raised his eyebrows a little, then said "You can go back to your desk now."

Completely fictional, but it could have happened!

Upvote 0
I think only like two people have said that they NEED a smartphone everyone else including the OP has said it's not needed just extra helpful. I'm trying to think if the benefits outweighs the costs of the yr contract just cause anything over a hundred dollars I study to make sure I know what I'm getting and stuff.

Me too, thats why i am still contemplating on whether or not i should get the phone, i have an ipod touch, a laptop and a dumbphone, i know that for me it is just a want rather than a need, but $199 once. and then extra $30/month for a year, that is $360 per year, just for data alone. hmmm

Upvote 0
Me too, thats why i am still contemplating on whether or not i should get the phone, i have an ipod touch, a laptop and a dumbphone, i know that for me it is just a want rather than a need, but $199 once. and then extra $30/month for a year, that is $360 per year, just for data alone. hmmm

Exactly, but today I went on campus and connecting with the Internet took me getting half way on campus before anything was picked up I was so annoyed.

Upvote 0

Well I was thinking about a two year plan but decided if I went with a smartphone I was going to go with the one year. That way it's like 600 and not a thousand and I can upgrade to something better if I want later.

Upvote 0
Well I was thinking about a two year plan but decided if I went with a smartphone I was going to go with the one year. That way it's like 600 and not a thousand and I can upgrade to something better if I want later.

I was thinking about that too, because if verizon is rolling out lte soon, that would be awesome...i feel like spend a lot of gadgets than i do shoes...

Upvote 0
What's with the name calling? I thought the forum had no tolerance policy.
I though you were a grown man/woman?
Btw, I just carried my laptop <5lb, maybe one book <1lb, other stuff all combined <1lb. All in all less than 10lb in my backpack.
The whole point of my post was that a college student shouldn't need a smartphone, if one has it already and can use it well, good for you. But, don't try to justify that you definitely need it.

Dude you were so lucky then. I carry at least four to five books plus my laptop, charger, pens and pencils, phone, iTouch, tom-tom, papers and notebooks and whatever else won't fit. Lol.

Upvote 0
Dude you were so lucky then. I carry at least four to five books plus my laptop, charger, pens and pencils, phone, iTouch, tom-tom, papers and notebooks and whatever else won't fit. Lol.
Given that I did not take many social science classes, do you need to carry all the books for the class?
Do you commute to school?
*I lived on campus and everything was pretty close or the school shuttle took me everywhere.

Upvote 0
Given that I did not take many social science classes, do you need to carry all the books for the class?
*I lived on campus and everything was pretty close or the school shuttle took me everywhere.

Back then I lived off campus 2 miles or so and commuted via bicycle. My cargo capacity was a backpack, and had to share it with books and such.

Like I said, your situation enabled you to live differently. Stop being so adamant that you are 100% correct and these damn kids these days are too spoiled. Some of us do legitimately need things that you can live without.

Upvote 0

I commute to school everyday. The school is about a mile long so if you're parking in the parking garage at one end and all your classes are near the middle or other end for the next couple of hours it's kinda time consuming to walk back and forth which is like ten minutes. Plus I only have ten minutes to get to my classes and have the time I'm booking across campus. And ya most times I do cause for history courses a lot of the time I'm reading like 4 books plus a textbook for various classes so any down time I have is spent reading.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones