• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Reception issues?

Gobtron

Jun 14, 2015
Hello, I just bought this phone, but this I might have reception issues with my phone.

Inside, I have more or less -110 dBm and 28 asu (1 bar). Outside, I get about -95 dBm with 38 asu (3 bars).

I tried to switch to WCDMA / GSM instead of LTE / WCDMA / GSM. It helps. I get around -100 dBm, 7 asu when inside. and -85 dbM, 14 asu outside.

Is this considered normal? Why girlfriend has a cheap 4 years old phone and it seems to have a better reception (when looking at the bars).

I have Android 5.0.2 (23.1.A.1.28). Model D5803. I am in Canada, and I did the test while in Quebec City, which is quite a big city.

I am looking to try a repair with PC-Companion, but users with the same issue (which i think i have) didn't see a difference.

I look at the Signal Strengh in Device Info (my UI is in French, I don't know if the translation is right). I installed an app to measure network signal strenght too (Network Signal Info).

I made only one "real" phone call, and the quality was pretty bad. But they were on a cellphone too, so maybe it was the other phone's problem. But still, I thought that I would not get a signal under -90 dbm when I am outside in the city. And my carrier has a very good reputation about coverage and signal strenght.

I guess I should make a few phone calls on landlines to check for drops and quality.

Oh and by the way, mobile data seems to be pretty fast though even if I have -100 dbm 7 asu

I guess I'm a little bit nervous too and i expect a lot from this device, since I threw a pretty good amount of money in this phone, thinking that it would be an investment for the next 4 years :)

Upvote 0
If you do get degraded call quality while everyone else on the same network in the same area seems to be okay, I'd go to a carrier store and ask them to compare your signal to another Xperia under the same conditions. If the signals are wildly different, you might have a hardware issue.

I've had phones that showed full bars and had horrible call quality and others that showed two bars and were rock solid.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones