• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Recording Audio through the headphone jack? Old phone...

Kelemvor

Nov 12, 2010
Hi,

I need to be able to record some audio through the headphone jack in a phone. I wanted to use an old phone I have laying around but don't know if it can support that or not. I have an old LG Optimus S (also have a V but assume they are the same). I haven't been able to find anything definitive about the specs of the headphone jack to know if it supports microphone input.

Does anyone know if this phone supports this?

Thanks!

The headphone jack is output only, its internal wiring is connected to the audio chip on the LG's motherboard, and the jack's metal contacts are positioned only for output. Yes a typical 3.5mm plug that are on the end of some microphones will fit into the jack but that's only because the jack is using a common standard, the metal contacts on the end of the plug are spaced differently.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Any idea if a GS3 or GS5 would work? I have those laying around somewhere too. :)
Again, the headphone jack is by design for audio output. If you look at the sound ports on a computer or laptop there are going to be at least two of them -- one for audio out, one for audio in. They may be the same size but they perform different functions. If you were to look at the plug ends of your earbuds and a microphone side-by-side you'll see a difference in the how the metal rings are spaced. Those directly correspond to the metal contacts inside a headphone jack.
Maybe you can get something working using a Bluetooth microphone. I have no experience with that so hopefully someone who does will chime in.

Is there a reason why you can't use the built-in microphone in one of your phones?

Upvote 0
I know that the metal rings are different but didn't know if any phones had the matching ring set inside since I can't see inside the phone. I need to record sounds from a mic that goes through a mixer. I need something I can plug into an output on the mixer so I can record it. If nothing else I'll just use a laptop but was hoping for something smaller.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones