• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Red Triangle/ Exclamation mark after attempted 2.3.5/Sense 3.0 update

HokkaHokka

Lurker
Jan 8, 2012
Red Triangle/ Exclamation mark after attempted 2.3.5 Sense 3.0 update

Hello,

Having attempted the latest update (stupidly neglecting to back up recent photos etc) I am now stuck on a black screen showing a phone/red triangle/exclamation mark icon.

I have tried taking battery and SD card out but the problem persists.

Is it possible to reinstall the update via my SD card (as per the options in the boot up menu) If so, where can I download etc?

I am willing to try anything that does not void my warranty.

Unfortunately, I have a horrible feeling that I am going to have to factory reset... If anyone has any experience with this or ideas I would be very grateful.

Many Thanks in advance

HH

Looks very similar to this post (see also the relevant posts below it).

In short, having done what you've done, the factory reset is the next thing to try. However, if this doesn't work, then you'll probably have to send it in for repair.

The only alternative is to try flashing a ROM yourself, but this process may not succeed and further brick your phone, because it has an existing fault. You would also invalidate your warranty if you were not able to get the phone back 'to normal'. I wouldn't recommend doing this.

Reactions: HokkaHokka
Upvote 0
Thanks for your post.
It is looking like i'm going to have to bite the bullet and attempt a factory reset.
On the boot menu (which is the only thing I can access) The following options are listed:

Reboot system now
Apply update from sdcard
Wipe data/factory reset
Wipe cache partition

I know I'm clutching at straws but might it possible to apply the offical update via my sd card (in the hope that the faulty installation is overwritten)

Thanks again

HH

Upvote 0
Hi

I was kinda wondering whether it might be possible to do a fresh install on the sd card and install from that.
Is it possible to download the update to my SD card from an official internet source (If unofficial I assume I may void my warranty)
I suspect the answer may be a resounding "No" though!

Thanks again for your help/

HH

Upvote 0
I haven't yet seen any official internet sources for branded ROMs (RUUs) for the Desire S. There are unofficial sources for these things, but you could be in for a wait until the relevant one for your device pops up somewhere. I've only seen the latest version available for stock phones and a Hong Kong provider.

An unofficial download, as long as it's the correct one for your phone, would be exactly the same as the OTA and your provider wouldn't know the difference.

Also, you wouldn't install it from your SD card. Instead, you'd download it (the RUU) to your PC and install it via the USB cable.

Upvote 0
Not that I know of. Some developers have enabled RUUs to be flashed from modified zips on other phones, but I haven't seen this done for the Desire S.

Another way way to install a ROM from an SD card (without rooting) is by way of a Gold Card. However, I don't have any experience or much knowledge of this method, so you would need to catch the attention of someone who has and ask them if it's worth trying (re: your warranty concerns).

Upvote 0
I've been trying to update my phone to 2.3.5 and sense 3.0, but every time it fails and goes onto the red triangle and exclmation mark screen....but I know why!

From looking on the recovery console it tries to verify the system and fails on the Contacts app (I think). This I think is due to a previous update I did on the phone doing something to my contacts app which made it unable to open. I've been using go contacts ever since.

Will a factory reset restore the contacts app and enable me to run the update?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones