• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Regrets buying the eris?

SiriusVirus

Lurker
Jun 27, 2011
Hey everyone I am considering to buy a eris. My incredible had an untimely death as it plummeted into a toilet :'(. Soo does anyone regret buying an eris? Im probably only gonna use an eris til christmas when my plan is up for renewal. So im either getting a Eris or a Devour can anyone give me some insight??

Having gone from an Eris to an Incredible, I can tell you for sure that the Eris will be slower than what you've become accustomed to.
I'm NOT saying it's a bad phone, in fact I'd say it's a pretty good little device, and I certainly didn't regret having one for the year or so that I used it.
For sure you'll want to root it, for ME an unrooted Eris has too many niggling little bugs, but a rooted one is good.

Upvote 0
I second what lagos said. Eris was my entry into android after having been an iphone user for awhile and let me tell ya, the eris was so bad it almost turned me off android completely. I don't care what you have to do. Sell your kid on ebay if thats what it takes. DO NOT BUY AN ERIS. I can't put into words how much i regretted getting that phone and the trouble it caused me. It's not even like it was a defective phone or extra buggy, it's just slow and doesn't do any 1 thing well. You'll get it, try call someone and while loading the dialer, it'll crash and you'll be fighting with yourself with "why the hell would it do that?". It just does. It was outdated hardware when it came out

Upvote 0
I really like my Eris and it's served me well. But it's (all of them) are coming to the end of their life and I'm ready for my upgrade now. I'm not even deciding what I'm going to get yet, since November is a decade away in terms of phones.

My step son has an Incredible and loves it. Verizon made a mistake and offered my wife an early upgrade from her Eris to a Droid X for $50!! So I actually have the slowest phone of the three of us..... until November :)

Upvote 0
Nope....no regrets.

Got the Eris almost when launched, figured it would hold me over until those persistent iPhone on Verizon rumors came true. Rooted the following August, and even with its bugs and foibles, we are comfortable together until next March, when my upgrade is due.

My wife just got her first smartphone - the HTC Thunderbolt. Despite all the warnings - even the salesgirl tried like *heck* to talk her out of that phone and into a Dinc2, it's been a great phone so far with no issues and very good battery life.

It's making me reconsider my iPhone lust....but then, I use a MacBook 99% of the time.

Upvote 0
After using it for about a week, I'm not really a fan of it. I've had an iPod touch and dumb phones for the past 4 years, so I thought bringing my sisters old Eris would spark some interest, but all it has done was caused problems. Yes, I do enjoy having a smartphone, but this really isn't the one for me. Once November hits I'm either gonna try the Droid 3 or hop on the iPhone bandwagon. I don't regret it, but I'm just not a fan of the Eris.

Upvote 0
I had an Eris, then an Inc1, and now an Inc2, and I was using an Eris the other day and wanted to throw it out the window, my inc1 is 10x better. Made me not want to sell it. I was looking at peoples Inc1 for sale and they want $200 for phone that has cosmetic damage, I have an AMOLED screen inc1 no scratches to the screen or body anywhere completely MINT. $150 if you're interested.

Upvote 0
I had an Eris, then an Inc1, and now an Inc2, and I was using an Eris the other day and wanted to throw it out the window, my inc1 is 10x better. Made me not want to sell it. I was looking at peoples Inc1 for sale and they want $200 for phone that has cosmetic damage, I have an AMOLED screen inc1 no scratches to the screen or body anywhere completely MINT. $150 if you're interested.

Wow. So very tempted to go for this...

Upvote 0

Thank you very much, but I can't accept that offer... With starting college in 3 weeks I need to pay for books and everything for my dorm, so I can't afford a new phone. Thank you very much, I greatly appreciate it!

Upvote 0
Really the big drawback of the Eris is battery life. You can watch it drop. Tough to make it through a day even with settings carefully tweaked. The screen and radio are just too hungry I guess. I've owned half a dozen android phones and many other smartphones. I "think" the Eris is hardest on battery.

Having said that, it is a great phone for email and a bit of browsing. If you load GB on it is pretty decent. It's not a mutimedia machine. I'm using one as a backup at the moment.

Upvote 0
I had an Eris for two years and just switched to an LG Revolution. Honestly, the Eris provides a terrible Android experience because it simply lacks the hardware resources to run Android properly. Rooting and installing a custom ROM does help somewhat. My Eris routinely lagged, was very slow to open, close, and switch between applications, and the phone aspect was the worse part. The phone would sometimes not allow me to answer calls, it would occasionally dial a different person than I intended (while displaying the number and picture of the intended person), and the phone would lag severely when exiting a phone call. The LG Revolution is a massive upgrade in the user experience for me, and everything works the way it should now with no lagging or phone issues, and Android runs smooth and fast now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones