• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[RELEASED] The 4.3 inch "Thunderbolt" aka "Mecha" aka "Incredible HD" from HTC...beyond coming soon!

Like I said above, we are not seeing "everything". I think VZW has something up their sleeve. His tweets are confusing, but convincing.

I agree. One of two things are going to happen. Either the HTC Thunderbolt is a mid-tier LTE device and they have an unknown top tier phone that they will release tomorrow OR this is the first LTE phone that will be on the market. Yes, LG, Moto and Sammy have "announced" a phone before HTC but are they market ready??? Might their phones not be ready until mid-late 2011?

I seriously doubt HTC is going to get whipped around this badly when it comes to hardware specs.

Upvote 0
If Samsung is so great then why on Phonedogs poll when asked if they were frustrated with their Galaxy S phone and would they consider a Samsung for their next phone, 57% said they would not. When the Galaxy S series came out they said to wait and see how long it would take for Froyo to be available. They're still waiting on that.

Now yes, LG and Samsung make their own displays, but that only means they'll have great displays. As far as phone phones go, Samsung hasn't been the greatest. They re-released that flip phone (the one that flipped two ways), slapped a 2 behind the name and called it a day.

And as far as bricking phones with updates, Apple did that with iOS4, and they handle everything.

Now I'm not saying that wanting a dual core is wrong or stupid. Wanting it futureproof is one thing, but I'd bet most people will get tired of their 1st gen dual core when the 2nd gen comes out, as it will have features the 1st gen didn't. Hell, after the Incredible was released a lot of people on here said it would hold them over untill their 2 year contract was up and now here they are looking to switch.

I just read the other day that some company is working on quad core processors for phones. For all we know, by the time LG, Moto, & Samsung release their phones something 10 times greater will be just around the corner (real world speak: 6 months). If you don't pull the trigger at some point you'll end up buying a phone 2 years after the one you currently own.

First, a poll on Phonedogs? I don't consider them reputable. That 57% could have been out of 20 people. I've played with Samsung's Galaxy S line, my dad has the Fascinate. There is nothing wrong with it, the only thing I don't like is aestheticly the UI does not appeal to me. Everything else was impressive. The UI updates may be slow, but at least you know the hardware is great and will last.
As for the iPhone bit, we're talking about Android manufacturers, so that's irrelevant to the discussion. Fact is, HTC is the only Android phone manufacturer that bricked many thousands of phones with an UPDATE. Moto, Sammy nor LG has done this.
Wherever you heard about quads coming to mobiles in the next 6 months, your source must be high. That's not happening. The fact that they're working on it means they will not be applied until at least next year. Anyone saying the Incredible would last them 2 years is also high.
HTC is behind in the hardware front. I am willing to sacrifice Sense UI for some hefty hardware, especially considering the Bionic and LG's Revolution (which, btw, the UI is looking pretty clean on the LG).

You may have been brainwashed by HTC.

Edit: Droid Bionic was said to be set on an early Q2 launch. Verizon had said they were planning to release an Android LTE phone every month until about June.

Upvote 0
Yeah, that is what I am thinking also. If the reported spec's are true, I hope there is an alternative LTE Handset at launch. I really want HDMI and a better screen.

I kinda doubt we'll see amoled of any kind on anything or than a Samsung. I would bet the Thunderbolt will have SLCD, which by all accounts is hard to distinguish from amoled.

Upvote 0
Edit: Droid Bionic was said to be set on an early Q2 launch. Verizon had said they were planning to release an Android LTE phone every month until about June.

Starting When? That will be important for me. I get to upgrade my Blackberry 8330 Curve anytime and I get to upgrade my Dinc in April. So (2) new Android Phones for me :)

Upvote 0
First, a poll on Phonedogs? I don't consider them reputable. That 57% could have been out of 20 people. I've played with Samsung's Galaxy S line, my dad has the Fascinate. There is nothing wrong with it, the only thing I don't like is aestheticly the UI does not appeal to me. Everything else was impressive. The UI updates may be slow, but at least you know the hardware is great and will last.
As for the iPhone bit, we're talking about Android manufacturers, so that's irrelevant to the discussion. Fact is, HTC is the only Android phone manufacturer that bricked many thousands of phones with an UPDATE. Moto, Sammy nor LG has done this.
Wherever you heard about quads coming to mobiles in the next 6 months, your source must be high. That's not happening. The fact that they're working on it means they will not be applied until at least next year. Anyone saying the Incredible would last them 2 years is also high.
HTC is behind in the hardware front. I am willing to sacrifice Sense UI for some hefty hardware, especially considering the Bionic and LG's Revolution (which, btw, the UI is looking pretty clean on the LG).

You may have been brainwashed by HTC.

The poll had 2,005 people. That's a decent test group.

So htc is the only android manufacturer to brick phones with an update. It happened once and it was high profile. I'd bet it won't happen again.

I am not brainwashed by htc, my Incredible is the first of their's I have owned. Would I consider them for my next phone? Yes.

Would I consider Moto? Yes, but only if they can get blur running better. I looked at the Bionic and was disappointed with 512mB of memory. That is certainly last years specs.

Samsung? Probably not. I played with a Fascinate right next to my Incredible. The Fasciante's UI was laggy, but not on my Incredible. I'm not a fan of their Touchwiz either. If they want to put Bing on their phones fine, but when they make them the default and then say you can change it with the Froyo update that's 1 1/2 months late and counting, no I don't think so.

LG? I'll be watching them and see how they do. If they prove reliable & perform well, then I will consider them. As of right now, they have a short history with smartphones.

I have had a good experience with HTC, until I have a bad one I won't throw them under the bus. Am I disappointed with the Thunderbolt? Yes & no. They put out a great phone. Is it the greatest? No. But it will do what it's supposed to. Everyone's using their marketing like it's a broken promise to them. It's marketing. Plain and simple. People thought they were arrogant to call a phone the Incredible. They were, but they weren't far off.

Let's just agree to disagree here. Nothing I say will change your mind, and vice versa.

P.S. I never said the quad cores were coming out in 6 months. I said they are working on them. I then said that when the Moto/Sams/LG phones come out (Q2 2011) there will be hype about new devices that is just around the corner. I was making a joke that around the corner is industry speak for 6 months.

Upvote 0

So htc is the only android manufacturer to brick phones with an update. It happened once and it was high profile. I'd bet it won't happen again.

I am not brainwashed by htc, my Incredible is the first of their's I have owned. Would I consider them for my next phone? Yes.

Would I consider Moto? Yes, but only if they can get blur running better. I looked at the Bionic and was disappointed with 512mB of memory. That is certainly last years specs.

Samsung? Probably not. I played with a Fascinate right next to my Incredible. The Fasciante's UI was laggy, but not on my Incredible. I'm not a fan of their Touchwiz either. If they want to put Bing on their phones fine, but when they make them the default and then say you can change it with the Froyo update that's 1 1/2 months late and counting, no I don't think so.

LG? I'll be watching them and see how they do. If they prove reliable & perform well, then I will consider them. As of right now, they have a short history with smartphones.

I have had a good experience with HTC, until I have a bad one I won't throw them under the bus. Am I disappointed with the Thunderbolt? Yes & no. They put out a great phone. Is it the greatest? No. But it will do what it's supposed to. Everyone's using their marketing like it's a broken promise to them. It's marketing. Plain and simple. People thought they were arrogant to call a phone the Incredible. They were, but they weren't far off.

Let's just agree to disagree here. Nothing I say will change your mind, and vice versa.

thats a pretty fair analogy. im comfortable with a little modding so i am willing to experiment with the BIONIC. I have a Sense 2.5 ROM from DesireZ on my Inc. and i have to tell you, i love it!!! I will miss sense no doubt. the only thing i am worried about is that by the time the bionic comes out Q2, HTC will announce there 1.2ghz dual core blah blah blah and i will be waiting another 6 months for that. it never stops. i want VZW to come out with a Tech Lovers Lease program. $20 monthly to lease the latest phones with annual upgrade.

Upvote 0
Release date is the biggest key for me with the Thunderbolt right now. Assuming that the Thunderbolt will just be Verizon's Evo, I definitely think it would be worth me getting if it is released within the next month. If the dual-core phones are all late-Q2 and beyond, I'm definitely not sitting on my current phone for that long. If anything I'd just snag the Thunderbolt on a 1-year contract and then have my choice of dual-core phone in 10 months.

As I said in my first post, I'm just gonna be happy to finally get my hands on an android phone!

Upvote 0

P.S. I never said the quad cores were coming out in 6 months. I said they are working on them. I then said that when the Moto/Sams/LG phones come out (Q2 2011) there will be hype about new devices that is just around the corner. I was making a joke that around the corner is industry speak for 6 months.

Understood. I think what I should really be trying to get at is hardware is unmodifiable when you buy a smartphone. Software can be changed and worked with. Even if the software isn't all that great on an LG or Sammy, that's what rooting and ports and customizations are for.

Also, although this seems sketchy, Vizio is gonna be entering the Android smartphone market soon as well. The UI looks fairly polished and thorough.

As for release dates on phones, whenever the first LTE phone is released, that is the starting point for subsequent releases of other Androids. All assuming that Verizon sticks with this plan. Verizon has been known to give each phone it's month in the spotlight before releasing another.

Upvote 0
Release date is the biggest key for me with the Thunderbolt right now. Assuming that the Thunderbolt will just be Verizon's Evo, I definitely think it would be worth me getting if it is released within the next month. If the dual-core phones are all late-Q2 and beyond, I'm definitely not sitting on my current phone for that long. If anything I'd just snag the Thunderbolt on a 1-year contract and then have my choice of dual-core phone in 10 months.

As I said in my first post, I'm just gonna be happy to finally get my hands on an android phone!

Motorola said that the Droid Bionic would be released in early second quarter, not late second quarter. 2nd Quarter starts in April.

Upvote 0

After owning a Fascinate and some Samsung dumbphones in the past I dont' think I could buy one from them again . The Fascinate is by far the biggest disapointment in a phone I've ever purchused and the fact that it's still on 2.1 while they release the Nexus S with 2.3 is laughable also releasing a high end phone with broken GPS and a very Laggy UI is also a joke.

But LG I would definetly consider everything I've owned from them has been good a couple TVs and some appliances all great .I got hooked on LG with the orgiginal Vx 9800 then got the 9900 the Voyger and the Dare and enjoyed all of them very much well except the touch screen on the Voyger. I also have used the LG Optimus and for an entry level Android phone it is just a great little device with a great build quality if they can put out an entry level android phone like that I have faith they can put out a good high end one .

Upvote 0
Oh. So the 4g stuff is at 2pm PST?
Yeah all the carrier/company specific stuff will be later

CES is just starting today and this morning is the opening address to everyone. All the news we've seen thus far has been hype from different companies to get things started. They all throw their own parties and etc etc. If the PRE CES news has been this good...this weekend should be insane lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones