• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Remove bloatware

If you remove the Moto apps, you'll remove the widgets. However, I would tread very lightly. Root was JUST achieved late last night, but there is no file that can be used to restore the X to stock, factory settings if you brick.

One thing to bear in mind is that if you remove something that is tied to Blur, that is tied intimately with the phone's framework. You could bork your phone and screw yourself.

Before you remove an app, make a copy of the .apk and stick it in a backup folder, just in case. That way you can push the .apk from the backup folder to system/app.

Upvote 0
for those that wish to remove the apps from the command line, these are all in the /system/app directory and case sensitive:

successfully rooted here...can run su and get root (#) prompt.

attempting to rename an .apk to .apk.bak (via mv), or to create an app/junk subfolder, i get an error...'read-only file system'. this is with phone usb in either pc mode or mass storage mode.

eh? any help? don't really want to shell out (groan) for the apparently at-cost 'root explorer' app.

thx.

Upvote 0
Is there a free App remover? lol
I am a bit lost, how is everyone removing these apps? Is it via another app from the market or via their CPU DOS commands similar to how the phone was rooted ?

There are 2 ways after you root:

1) Command line
2) Use an app

I used Titanium Backup, which also can back up apps and is free.
The OP used the Root Manager app, which I think is a paid app.

Reactions: jr0065
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones